Fostering while bio children 6 and under?

What do you think? I've heard some foster parents say it's good for their kids. Do you think this is good, or destructive for a young child?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 11:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would say that its a great idea if the child you're fostering is very young. Some foster children have been severely abused and may have the tendency to re-enact inappropriate or abusive behavior. It would be very sad if your own child was victimized by another child in your home. Otherwise, I think fostering is awesome and demonstrates how big your heart is!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I want to wait until my kiddos are older ... maybe not quite out of the house, but old enough to understand why we are fostering. We know it takes a lot more than love to truly make a difference in a foster child's life, and I wouldn't want to risk robbing them of our extra time, patience and attention. Nor would I want there to be a sense of competition. We did respite care for my MIL's foster children for a year before we had our own, and we loved it - it was just like foster parenting was always meant to be for us. We can't wait to welcome kiddos into our home, but like I said, we want to wait until the time is right.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I personally would love to foster parent, I think it could show my kids that not everyone is blessed to have both there parents and live as comfy as they do. But the hubby says no way, So I have to respect that.
    Shannan21

Answer by Shannan21 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2010