6 year old cries over everthing

My DD is 6 and she cries over everything from what shirt to wear, or when it is time to go to bed, she does this to try and get her way all the time and i do not fall for it but she still does it how do I get her to stop.

mommyofseven123

Asked by mommyofseven123 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would like to know the same thing... My daughter does that too.. she will be 7 in November. It must be the age. Hopefully they will grow out of it. I know my daughter is in first grade this year and a lot of new things are happening so she may just be overstressed. I try to give her more one on one when I can it seems to help.

Hang in there
    Anonymous

• I think it's a faze. My DD is 6 and we went through it for a while too. i had to sit her down and tell her that crying is not the way to get what she wants. I have also talked to her about the fact that sometimes it's hard to controll your emotions and you just need to cry. So now if she can't get herself under control she goes to her room, all on her own, gets herself under conrtol and then comes back. Kids can't fully controll their emotions and they may start to cry and not understand why. It's a way for them to get out their stress. This has worked very well for us because it gives her an opportunity to let off some steam, and I don't have to listen to her cry about the fact that her favorite pajamas aren't clean. I think it's helping her to learn to deal with her emotionss on her own too.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Honestly my son use to do that a lot. Finally I got firm and said enough is enough. I told him to stop crying over something so silly. Of course he didnt. So then, I would tell him I will be in the other room when he calms down and is ready to "figure things out." Over and over and over...he is starting to get it just now. He's 7.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• record him with a tape recorder and play it every time he crys
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2008