Is it safe to take a bath in the last month of pregnancy???

I love taking baths but someone ( a nurse) today told me that it was not good to take a bath in the last month of pregnancy due to infections??? I have never heard of this.. I know if my water breaks not to take a bath but.... Anyone else still taking baths? My c-section date is set for 9/9/10.

CapeCodMom1

Asked by CapeCodMom1 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's fine until your water breaks. After your water breaks, anything in the vagina (bath water, penis, doctors' hands, etc.) poses a risk of infection. Until then, the amniotic sac protects the baby.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thank you soooooooooo much!! I thought I was gonna have to give up my special MOMMY time :0)
    CapeCodMom1

Comment by CapeCodMom1 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Na. I dont think Ive ever heard of a woman getting anything from a bath.. I know i took a bath a few hours before i was induced.. Towards the end of my pregnancy i was scared to take a shower. scared of falling.. and dang! A shower was just a huge work out & i loved baths because it seems like my baby got really active then lol..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I was told it was safe till you lose your mucas plug.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thanks ladies, I love your comment Momma Tasha, I love baths too and my son is way active when I am in the bath, I love watching him kick around maybe he will be like his big brother and love baths too when he arrives :0)
    CapeCodMom1

Comment by CapeCodMom1 (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I took a bath almost every day up to my delivery date. My doctor said it was absolutely fine, and that if it relaxed me, that I should keep doing it as long as I wanted to. I can't think of any reason that it would harm the baby.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 11:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Actually, as long as your tub is clean, you can still take a bath once your water breaks. How else do you think women have water births? =) The nurse that told you you can't bathe is absolutely misinformed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yeah like the first poster said you should be fine it's only after your water breaks that it can cause infection. But also maybe since you won't actually know if your water breaks when you taking a bath maybe that's why?
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• unless you are in high risk or your water breaks then it should be ok just make sure you clean your tub every day but if your in a high risk pregnancy i know they tell you not to. i remember with my first pregnancy i was in high risk because i went into preterm labor. the doctor strictly told me no baths or long warm showers. basically everythign had to eb fast and not hotsince could make my body start contracting and that was a higher risk to having a preterm baby.
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 11, 2010