Cop answered my ad-Do I call him back?

I posted a sign illegally advertising my housing for rent. A cop has called 4 times saying that he's interested--or is he just interested in giving me a ticket? I took the sign down. Should I call him back? Or is that asking for trouble?

orangeorbie

Asked by orangeorbie at 12:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Call him back. If he's calling because of the sign you will probably get a slap on the wrist. You never know until you find out.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 12:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• How do you know hes a cop? How did you post it illegally?
    maddisont05

Answer by maddisont05 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would not call back. If you happen to answer the phone when he calls just tell him you're no longer doing that. You decided to stay there yourself.
    Chances are he didnt know you did it illigally.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• He left a message saying that he's a cop (who leaves a message for a condo and says what their occupation is anyway?) and gave me his cell and work numbers. I posted a sign in the ground at a busy intersection and I called to the town and they said that's illegal.
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 1:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• He was probally just interested in the rent. I doubt he'd be so nice if he wasn't. HE probally didn't even know that was illegal and if it is it's a minor thing and a cop would overlook it or not even know it and you didn't even know it and you'd probally get off the hook...Call him back.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Oh yea, He was probally telling you he was a cop so if you called him at work (the police station0 you'd know before hand. Plus he gave you his cell. It seems harmless.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• he was probably telling you that so that you will know and feel safer with him renting from you. If i was you i would call him back. I'd rather have a cop rent from me than a drug addict. it is your call but that is my thoughts on it :)
    Anonymous

• if he wanted to give you a ticket he could go to your house or send it in the mail....he just wants to rent your house im sure....i would not worry, but i see how you could be. many people put signs out on roads and on light poles.....if cops wanted to give tickets to everyone that did that they would be rather busy.

Anonymous

• Thanks for all the fast answers! I've never asked a question before : )

I did call him but he didn't answer so I left a message. Chances are he really is just interested in my place because I saw him drive by around the time he called.

I'll keep ya posted--thanks again!
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 2:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• He just called back--everything's fine! I just worry for nothing. He's got a fiance and a toddler and they're coming tonight to see it. I'm going to put my sign back up, LOL.

Thanks a lot!
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 3:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2008