breastfeeding.....pump only?

Heres my situation any suggestions help....
My baby is a month old i have a inverted nipple on left side ( he has been using a nipple shiled) sometimes good others he refuses" only stays on 10-15 min and CANT latch without it even when i pump 1st"

Because I also have a low supply he wasnt getting enough so i pumped and gave him bottle after but he now gets mad at me for not getting milk fast enough I am using slow flow nipples.

I want to exclusivley pump and feed for both our sanity at this point can i keep a good supply? I pump constantly and have seen no increase in supply. I produce anywhere from 1 oz to 4 oz max from both breasts combined I need help! I have met with a lactation consultant so i know my supply is low and he has trouble latching...

dairyberrys

Asked by dairyberrys at 11:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long do you pump? I had to go an hour each time to get enough to feed my child a solid feedings. I also had very low flow and ended up having to supplement with formula. My son would not latch on either, no matter how many times I tried, the doctors, nurses and lactation consultants tried, and I just figured that I couldn't put myself and my son through it, so I did what I could and supplemented what I couldn't produce. I have heard from a number of moms that were able to pump exclusively for their baby for 6+ months. They produce 2-3 "servings" worth each time.

Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions. I felt very alone while going through this as everyone around me has no problems breastfeeding and I felt like the worst mother in the world for not being able to. You are doing a great job and the fact that you are trying so hard to get your baby the best nutrition you can, shows what a great mom you are.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 11:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Pumping and bottle feeding is really really difficult. I breastfed my 3 children over 2 years each and I would never consider pumping and bottle feeding because it is sooo hard. Teas, oatmeal, foods, ect. have not been proven to increase supply.

You can breastfeed using only one breast. Use the right breast only and it will make enough milk. Women can nurse twins or even triplets, one breast is able to feed a baby. You can get your baby breastfeeding only with no pumps or bottles. Who knows, when your baby is older he may be able to nurse on that left breast and bring in milk on that breast too.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Or you can breastfeed on the one breast, and pump the other so that you don't end up with an engorged breast, and then freeze the milk for later on. That way, both breasts are used and you can still feed your baby.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 11:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have an inverted nipple on my left side. It takes lots of determination to work through it but it is possible. I have done it several times. It took me almost 6 months this last go around to get my nipple to function properly. If you feel like you have tried a lot you haven't tried enough. Atleast that is what I always tell myself when it comes to bf'ing. If it was easy their would be no need for formula. From my experience pumping sucks! I have never been able to get more than 2 oz at a time. You baby is only a month old you can still work through this if you really want to. I have faith in you :) just keep at it no matter how frustrated you are
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Also there is nothing wrong with using a nipple shield I did it with my first born for the first 4 months of his life. he was bf'ed til he was 13 months and I found out I was pregnant. Also its only been a month and sometimes baby needs to spend lots of time on the breast. Don't let anyone tell you to limit babies feeding time.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• There is a group here called "Exclusively pumping mommies". You should join it and read the past posts. It is very helpful. There are a lot of moms who pump and bottle feed. Yes, it is very hard, but we do it because we could not breastfeed for one reason or another but still want to give our baby breastmilk.
    Some moms get a really large supply from pumping, up to 40-50 ounces a day. I get enough to feed my baby and put 15 ounces in the freezer everyday. BUT, it took me about 10 weeks to establish the supply. If you visit the group, there are many posts about increasing supply. THe moms in the group are very helpful and answer often. Try it out.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 3:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to exclusively pump. All that matters is that your child is being fed. I have been exclusively pumping for 7 months and it really isn't that much more difficult than formula feeding.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 10:16 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Your pump output is great, actually. Don't kid yourself. **grin**

It CAN be done but is a lot of work. You might consider breastf shells, worn when not nursing, to draw out the inverted nipple.

If you choose to exclusively pump, it's a LOT of pumping...every couple of hours around the clock.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010