Any one ever traveled by train?

Thinking of taking a trip by train because I have never been on one. Any advice or suggestions?

MrsAJLaw

Asked by MrsAJLaw at 11:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Travel

• I traveled by overnight train through the Swiss Alps - loved it. Have gone on day trains throughout Calif. - loved it. My kids had a blast because they could move between the train cars and not be stuck in a car.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No but I would really like too :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• In fifth grade we went on a field trip from south Florida to Washington DC on a train. It was a longgggg trip (over 10hrs) and the seats were very uncomfortable! A short trip may be fun, but I would never go on another long trip like that again unless I had a sleeper car or something :)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I took an 11 hour train ride from Michigan to New York. It was awesome, I love trains.
    Make sure to get up and walk around every so often if it's a long ride. Your body will thank you when you get up to exit the train at your destination.
    Also, don't pack too much for your carry on. Because there's not much room to put it on your ride.
    Bring music, or a book to entertain you on your ride. Remember headphones.
    Bring your own pillow on the train with you. The pillows they give you are small and not very comfortable.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I went on several train trips when I lived in Germany. I have not been on any in the USA though. I would love to take Amtrak's vacations, though. The best thing to do is go on the website of the company that you will be riding on and read all of there suggestions, and what they offer.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No, but I've always wanted to...hope you enjoy your trip!
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No i haven't i have heard thou its sometimes can be very bumpy and long and borading but i wouldn't take a train if you want to get some where right away cause a train could take a while to get you to your spot. All depends on where your going to you might end up switching trains too.
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 11:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have for relatively short trips (around 6 hours). I love it. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for overnights though. How long of a trip are you looking at?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 7:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2010