How to handle my 2 1/2 yr olds tantrums

My daughter goes crazy, she bites, hits, kicks and does everything she can to be mean I don't think she does it to be "bad" but I don't know what to do about them. Spanking is a negative reaction that causes defiance that will only continue, yelling doesn't help, but walking away is abandonment, if she wants attention it isn't good to coddle the child because they learn that negative behavior causes reward. I'm lost and need help, I have not been able to find my answer ANYWHERE!

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I can give you some places to look. A good toddler parenting book is Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called star parenting.

Authoritative parenting is the most effective form of parenting. You can go to google and find out more about it..

Most 2 year olds are told no way too often. Here is a famous article about saying no

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I know it is hard i am still trying to get my little girl to stop and she is 3y7m old but i found out that time outs work for some of the tantrums i put her in a chair and set a timer for like 5 mins i don't let her have nothing no cup no toys i turn off the tv for she knows she has done something i don't like and then after time out is over she comes to me and we make her say shes sorry. but thats just one idea. You could aways watch the nanny on tv it seems to have some great ideas on tantrums too. but that my opion. Hope this helps.
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 12:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Gailll, i'll give you an example, a conversation will go like this, i'll be getting her a sandwich that she asked for and she'll say no mommy pop sickle! I'll say Lily you have to eat your sandwich before you get a pop sickle, and she'll start throwing herself on the floor and screaming as loud as she can! Another problem is at bed time, she know's at 8pm it's bed time (but can't read a clock), so we'll say Lily it's 8 o'clock, she'll say okay and we'll get in bed, but then she gets up to play and when we lay her back down she goes absolutely crazy, and this is normally when the hitting and kicking starts. I can't just say okay obviously you're not tired because that's giving in and saying okay you can have your way, but there is little else that we can do other than lay her down over and over again, which still never works. if we leave her alone she bangs her body against the wall or tears the sheet rock apart.
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Mothering Magazine http://www.mothering.com/ has articles about parenting skills. There are discussion boards. There are many articles about toddlers on the La Leche League website and recommended books. La Leche League has state conferences and these conferences often have famous speakers like Dr. William Sears and his wife Martha. Dr. Sears website has info about toddlers.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• timeouts work - gives my dd time to calm down and think about the right way to act. she is never left alone when in timeout.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 2:17 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• heres a bump GL
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2010