When dealing with a person you despise, how do you maintain your cool?

I have to talk to someone that I cannot stand, but for my dd's sake, I have to maintain my cool and be super upbeat and nicey-nice to this person. I get knots in my stomach and start shaking inside when I see or talk to this person. Any tips on how I can control myself without feeling like I'm going to combust?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 11:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• its simple, i avoid them
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Lol I wish I was that lucky!
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• don't let anyone be the author of who you are...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well even if you have to see them, it doesn't mean you have to talk to them. I am not saying glare at the person until your face turns red with the anger that you feel, just play it off like it means nothing to you. One night won't kill you or the other person, unless perhaps you let that anger out. My suggestion is pretend like the person isn't there, and if hello's are given to you make one word responses, i'm sure he/she knows your feelings towards them so you won't have to worry about it, but if you don't think that you can do that I would make other arrangements for yourself.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't. I'm a bitch when I'm around people I cant stand. Huge reason why my mother stop bring her boyfriends around me because I was a bitch to them. She choose abusers, cheaters, rapist as boyfriends.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• First take your power back second look at them and whatever wrong they have done and forgive for you not them the second you take your power back the second you will be able to leave this person in the dust. Anger puts you at a disadvantage so whatever it is forgive and let go when you see this person think one thought. I have my own life and you are just a blip on my radar. you say its hard but take care. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• take a deep breath and remember why your talking to them in the first place. i know its hard, we have to behave ourselves while talking to teachers. but just remember it'll be over in afew minutes, (hopefully). how often you gotta talk to this person? you didn't say.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have to talk to her more often than I'd like to. It's my dd's bio mom. She gets 4 weeks a year of visitation plus every other weekend. All she does is manipulate my dd and goes through hell and high water to make everyone's lives miserable.
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Nicole what does your hubby think about this?
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 12:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• He's in Afghanistan, so I'm having to deal with her and all of her stunts that she pulls until he comes back. I know he's stressing over it, because he already feels like everything's out of his control over there. He tells me just to play along and be nice for our dd's sake.
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010