Do you feel that children should be sheltered from unhappiness?

I try so hard to shelter my children. But should I?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No... I think children need to learn about real life. Not to say that some things are inappropriate for children, but most things can be brought down to their level and explained. They need to learn to cope with emotions so they can face the real world as they get older.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No they need to learn how to deal with lifes disappointments. They can also learn to help those who are having bad times.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thats a tough one. I would say no. While we are children is when we learn how to deal with a range of things. If we are never allowed to deal with the bad and the good, when we become adults its nearly impossible to be rational about different situations. At least thats what Im learning at these behavioral classes Im taking. BUT mama knows best. Your the mama and you should do what you feel is right with your kids.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• while it does suck to see your kids unhappy, it's something they have to learn. Trying to keep your child happy 100% of the time only leads to a spoiled person who has no concept of how rough the real world really is.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I was honest about my guys about the bad things happening to them or to me. The truth is often harsh but it keeps them from being blind sided.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I guess that I was thinking more along the lines of being around mean people. If I see a mean group of people I wouldnt let her go around them. I dont know. I just try to protect her as much as possible.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't think so. My mom, my oldest son's favorite Granny, died very unexpectedly when he was 5. I could have kept him away from the funeral, but he needed the opportunity to say goodbye like the rest of us. And I feel he needed to see that it is normal to cry and grieve when you lose a loved one, but that you can still laugh remembering the good times with that person.
    We could have shut the door on all the sadness and unhappiness by not speaking about mom, but even though it sometimes brings up unhappy feelings, talking about her also brings up all the happiness we had with her. I really feel that I need to give my kids the tools to deal with as many emotional situations as possible, and that if we don't experience the lows how do we know when we're experiencing the highs?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I understand your feelings, but someday you're not going to be there when the mean people are around and I'd rather my kids have the tools to deal with people like them than, like another poster said, be blindsided. It does suck when your kids are hurting, but in my opinion a little hurt is better than a big one.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• True... oh it hurts.....
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Define unhappy...me and my 3 girls lived in a run down apt. building where pot smoke filled the hall ways and gangster type people hung out selling drugs......were they "unhappy" no they were not because, I talked to them about their surroundings and they went to church and had good people on the other side of the tracks that could make them happy. no matter where you are at, YOU are what makes the kids happy....
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010