C-section

I am 23 weeks pregnant with my second child my first child was born vaginally at 8lbs 5 oz her shoulder got stuck now with my second child he his weighing big the dr said i also have a low line placenta he dosent think im gonna be able to deliver this one vaginally any advice on csections? what are they like? im really scared about keeping the weight on i was 105 before i got preg will i go back or is it harder to lose weight?

aggheff08

Asked by aggheff08 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't reccomend a csection unless absolutly necessary. It is major, risky surgery.
    Its also best to go through a trial of labor if at all possible before a csection.

I'm not sure of the condition you spoke of, but research it and make sure its a valid concern for csection before you consent to one.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Your doctor is an asshole idiot. Run from him while you can. Major bullshit, that's what he's feeding you.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 12:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i had 2 vaginal with forceps horrible , one c section a dream , do it
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 12:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would research the condition before you agree with to the c-section. Most DRs are considered more with their malpractice insurance and not necessarily the best way to deliver a baby.

Your question about weight loss - you are on your own. I consider my baby weight a badge of honor and it will come off in due time.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 12:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I had a c-section first, then a VBAC. My c-section was demanded of my dr even though the baby would have been out in a few pushes. The dr was on a roll that night with c-sections. About 5 within 2 hours. I had to WAIT for the o.r. because she had one occupied. I was beyond scared. To make matters worse, I got a high fever just before and it caused the pain med to go straight to the fever, to fight it off. So I felt the whole c-section. The dr was complaining the whole time she was ripping me open that the only reason I didn't want the c-section was because of "cosmetic reasons" It was bs. It couldn't have been further from the truth. They do c-sections because they make double the $ on them and they're fast and that way they can get back to playing golf. Get yourself another dr NOW. Not just another dr, a whole new dr office. When I switched for my next baby everything was much better, no PPD, faster healing.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Dont listen to weight estimates ever! I was forced into early induction that ended in a c section cause my body and baby werent ready. All because they said he was 10lb 3oz already. He was 8lb 8oz at birth. I went through all that cause they were dumb. Now the low lying placenta, that could be a problem.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:40 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The weight came off for both VBAC and c-section in about the same amount of time, 4 months. But I must say, when you have a c-section it can be very depressing and painful. It literally hurt to SNEEZE when I had my c-section. You can't bend over or walk upstairs or go to the bathroom alone or anything. Its hard to nurse too. You'll have to have someone take care of YOU as well as help with the baby. You have to go back to the dr after a week to have the stitches removed and that's painful too. It takes months to recover totally. You'll just be walking about and feel like you're being ripped open all over again. Not trying to scare you, but just telling you the truth. I also have a problem with urinating now due to c-section. Seems my bladder was damaged. Feels like I'm going to wet myself sometimes, then I get to the br and it trickles out. Then 5 mins later feels like I'm going to pee my pants again. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Can you tell us more about the dystocia? Were you reclined for your labor? Any drugs-meds, tethering?

A low-lying placenta doesn't mean that you *have/will have* complications. Is it a partial previa at all?

Are you having a healthy pregnancy?
    Have you had an accident, illness, of genetic issue that would affect your pelvis?

Because it's not likely that you would have issues, I would encourage you to get a lot more info before considering this doctor's suggestion. When you hire a surgeon you're much more likely to birth surgically, there will be a greater chance that some reason will come up.

Make informed decisions for your health & safety, good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Iv had a very healthy pregnancy with both my children im young and in great shape but i have a very small frame and the baby is growing to big to fast is what he said and i almost broke my daughters shoulder and she was only 8.5 and there saying this one will be bigger to keep from possibly breaking his shoulder just do a c-section that it was almost impossible to put my body thre that kind of labor but i feel only God knows what kind of labor i will have i dont want a c-section and i really want to avoid it me and my husband want more kids but decided if c-section is the answer were done.
    aggheff08

Comment by aggheff08 (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• What about the other questions doulala asked, what position were you pushing in? Did you have any drugs epidural or other? Were you pushing when you had the urge or when they told you to? These things can make a huge difference.

I would find a different care provider or at the very least get a second opinion, preferably from a midwife or a Dr. known to support natural childbirth.

I just posted this article in another question but I think it applies here too.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pelvis.asp
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2010