can not get him to leave his sister alone!

My son is now 3 and his sister is 9 months old. We have been dealing with him bothering her since we first brought her home from the hospital. He picks her up, gets in her face, hugs and kisses on her all the time. She has a cry that I know what is wrong as soon as I hear it. Its her help me noah is doing it again cry lol. I don't know what to do! Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be nice :)

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why is he picking her up? I would be scared too if I was her. 1) Tell him not to pick up his sister under any circumstances, he could drop her, 2) tell him he can only kiss her and hug her when someone is holding her. He may be bored, maybe he thinks he's getting attention only when he gets near her. See if you can find an activity to do, or spend a little more time with him.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I recommend getting him a baby doll (I know some people may have issues with it, like dad, but get him a boy doll if you want) let him take care of, hold, cuddle, and play with the doll instead of his baby sister.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Often parents encourage sibs to hold babies and kiss them and tell them to tell the baby they love them. Often it is best policy to never let the sib touch the baby. You can avoid the problems of sibs touching babies too much, touching babies when you aren't looking, or touching babies in bad ways (sibs don't always love their babies so much).

Make a new rule about never touching the baby. It is your job to take care of the baby. Watch them like a hawk for a couple of weeks. Every time he gets close make a noise like uh uh uh. Don't let him touch (don't punish or lecture). He will learn that you mean what you say and it may transfer over to other areas of his life.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When I said it's your job to take care of the baby I mean tell him that. Often parents make a big deal about being the Big Brother and mommy's helper.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• He has several baby dolls already :) his biggest problem is he loves her SO much! I don't know if I can watch him like a hawk being as they aren't my only two. I have thought about tethering him to me. That probably would work the best
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 2:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2010