Hard decision.. =(

Okay, so I have babies on the brain tonight (third question lol) This one is a biggy though. My first son has Mitochondrial Disease, and a very severe case of it. When I found out I was pgt with my second I freaked. Seriously, I cried for two weeks before I could even think about the baby inside of me, I was terrified of passing this on to another child. My oldest is almost 3 now and we still have not figured out how it was passed on, though it is usually genetic, no body in my family has any history even relatively close. Needless to say my newest is 7 months and showing no signs, he is actually ahead with everything! He will be tested at 1 yr. I want another child and have considered trying again soon, I feel so incomplete, like I am meant to have another. I am just so afraid of having another baby and not knowing how this happened with my first. Advice?

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 12:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Unfortunately bad things happen to good people. Not everything can always "make sense", sometimes you just have to come to terms with it and figure out how you can move on. If you want a new baby and are destined to have a new baby, it'll happen. Whether the baby would have it or not is all a chance. But you have to be prepared for that first so you can have a healthy pregnancy and not stress the entire time.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:50 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm not familiar with this disease. What are the complications? Even though your unsure how he got it, what are the genetic chances of passing it on?

I kinda feel if its not life threatening and easily managed to go for it. You never know unless you try, and a baby is a blessing either way!

Good luck!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 12:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ToriBabe1221 : My first born who has Mitochondrial disease has a fatal diagnosis. Though it was set at 1 yr and now moved to 5. He has major complications. G-tube, Seizures, poor muscle tone, developmentally delayed (right now he is at a physical milestone development of a 5 month old and he will be 3 in Oct.) HOWEVER, he was very sick at birth with GBS and Spinal Meningitis which they believe has played a huge part in the severity of his condition. The chance of it being passed on is 0%-100% which I have been told is a good thing?
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Oh my momma. It does sound like you have quite the decision to make...
    Is there any way to test for it during pregnancy? Are all cases fatal?

I will say a prayer for your first born. I could only imagine.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ToriBabe1221: No all the cases are not fatal. In fact a lot of them are really simple.. for instance some have issues with overheating with exercise, or some have trouble gaining weight. There is no way to test for it during pregnancy, and there is also no cure. My doctor (who works closely with my first sons Mitochondrial specialist) put me on vitamins during pregnancy to give the unborn baby a head start if it were to be needed as well as did monthly ultrasounds to closely watch the growth of the baby and the heart, slow growth and heart problems are the most common seen in ultrasounds with Mitochondrial.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you are a spiritual woman, I would say pray to God and ask for Him to show you a sign that you should have another baby. THen if the answer is that yes you should, put your faith and trust into Him that everything will be ok. There are children born everyday with all kinds of different things"wrong" with them but the truth is that all children are beautiful little miracles, God creates no "accidents" If you are blessed with another child, whether it be with birth defect or not, it is the child God wants you to have and there is always a reason. Maybe you had that first baby because you are the perfect mother to care for him/her. God can turn any situation around quickly. He can heal your firstborn or cause your firstborn to live far longer than what drs have stated. GL God bless.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:19 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you really feel your family is incomplete, I would go for it.
    But I would also prepare for the possibility of the baby being born with this. Just in case, so you can remain strong for your child.
    If its not something you think you can handle again, id look into adoption if you can.
    Good luck either way mama!!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Sounds like a question for a genetic counselor. Getting pregnant isn't the only way to add to your family. If you're really worried about it you could consider fostering or adopting. There are a LOT of kids out there that really NEED a good loving home.

Good luck!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 9:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Coder chick: We have talked to a genetic counselor and they were the ones who gave us a 0-100% chance of it being passed on. As for the adoption the shortest wait is 7 years. We considered in-vitro, but they said there is still that possibility of it being passed on so it would be the same as having our own.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You do have a difficult, soul searching decision to make. Are there any support groups (either in person or online) you could join where you can meet other parents whose children suffer from the same condition? You might benefit from talking to others who have been through the same things you have.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010