whats a good way to keep a 2 week old baby up during the day? he is up all night and asleep all day!

what are good ways to wake him up? when i get him up how do i keep him awake? how do i change his sleep pattern?

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't keep the baby too warm and cozy. Keep in about the same weight of clothing as you are wearing and don't swaddle.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• about 9 or 10 am, take baby outside for about 30 minutes of sunlight

dim lights about an hour before you want baby to go to bed.

set up a soothing routine that you do during that hour that will help signal to him that it's bed time.

It's a bad idea to just try to keep baby up all day to force him to sleep at night. Overtired babies have a harder time of actually going to sleep and don't sleep as soundly, will just cause you more problems in the long run.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i disagree with the swaddling. my 2 week old hates being swaddled and sleeps worse if she is swaddled. she likes to stretch and move around when she sleeps. anyway wake him up a few times during the day and try to keep him up. remember newborns usually sleep 20 hours a day
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 2 of my babies liked swaddling, one didn't. It's the baby's preference. If you don't swaddle, give it a try, if you do try not doing it for a night.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I used to strip my son down and let him be naked for a while. When he started getting sleepy naked, I would give him a bath. Usually anything after that was pushing it. After doing this for a few days, it pushed his bed time later and later until it was an acceptable time.
    Baladi

Answer by Baladi at 1:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• This is one of the things I love about BF'ing I can do it while sleeping. Though at 2 weeks I had to sit up for every feeding. Anyways there really isn't much you can do. As long as baby isn't fussy you can let them lay in bed awake :) my mil has an old wives tale that I have tried and it worked lol I will have to ask her what it was :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 2:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You dont "keep" babies awake or "make" them sleep. To encourage them to reverse their sleep cycle keep NORMAL activity during the day. Natural light, normal noise, do chores as normal and go about your day. A baby should be able to sleep anywhere. Be exciting but let the baby fall asleep where they want and when desired. At night, keep the lights off or low, mellow to no activity, cuddling interaction. I highly reccommend cosleeping at least with the crib in the room or even better a sidecarred crib or cosleeper. Babies learn sleep patterns faster if they are near their mothers during times of both wake and sleep. I don't reccommend swaddling or routines that have babies sleep exactly the same way every single night...it can cause some odd sleep issues for a lot of babies like being unable to sleep unswaddled.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:16 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• With all 4 of my older ones (and now with my 4 week old) I would wake them every 3 hours during the day to nurse - take their clothes off, talk to them, massage their bodies, wipe their faces with a wet washcloth, etc. I also never let them nurse to sleep (didn't want to develop that habit). At night, I would let them sleep as long as they would without waking them. Also I made nighttime nursings very boring - low lights, little talking, etc. All 4 of my older ones slept 8 plus hours at night by 2 months, and my 4 week old is snoozing for 5-6 hours stretches at night. Some people say I'm just "lucky" - I prefer to think it's because of how I raise my kids.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I hat to disappoint you, knowing how sleepy you must be, but honestly it's really not the best thing for babies to be forced onto a schedule sooo early. . . he'll self correct once he's a little bit more adjusted to life on the outside, so to speak. . .I mean, you definitely have to be sure he's eating every 3-4 hours, but beyond that, just struggle through the long nights for a few more weeks. It'll get easier. . . :)
    Jennifina

Answer by Jennifina at 12:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Let sleeping babies lie. Eventually, babies get their days and nights straightened out.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010