what's after the sippy cup?

I want to get my dd off the sippy cup before i try potty training. What do I go to next? cups with straws? or what? thanks:)

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 1:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine are 3 & 4 we still use sippies (the take and toss kind) I don't think you HAVE to switch to anything else if you don't want to.

they each have one straw style cup, but dang that thing has a lot of little annoying pieces LOL

my 4 year old is getting much better and does occasionally get just a little plastic cup with no lid or anything, but he can't take it out of the kitchen.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• How old is she? Sippy with straw is the last step before actual regular cup. She should be able to drink from a regular cup already though, at least with you holding it. My son was able to drink from a straw by around 18 or 20 months, I think! He can drink from a regular cup easily but I just recently bought him some sippy cups with straws, just so he won't spill and is able to drink when he wishes to.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• She is 24 months. We had a sippy cup with the straw but it was so hard to clean!
    Mrs.Loeffel

Comment by Mrs.Loeffel (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son went from a regular sippy to a regular glass (plastic, not glass). He hated straw sippies. He was drinking from a regular glass 24/7 before he was 2. He does have a camelbak water jug that he likes when we go away.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughter wasn't on a sippy cup for long, just give them a cup and forget everything in between. A way to do this,set them into their high chair and help them with a cup, make sure towels are set underneath for a quick clean up, just keep working on it, it should all work out in the end. I know that a friend of mine still has their child drinking out of a sippy, he is 2 1/2, but has used a sippy for a little over a year and only tried a few times to transition him over to something different. Good luck!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• definitely sippy with a straw. This is better for their teeth. Also, since its a sippy its still not going to leak all over. My daughter is 2 and 4 months and she uses Munchkin stainless steel ones with straws. Sold at Babies R'Us. They're virtually indestructable. They're BPA free and you can get replacement straws if needed on Munchkin's website.She's been drinking from straws only for nearly a year. She loves it!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• a cup plain and simple with no lid. or straw or anything. thats what i did. started off with just water though because of spills. but i made sure my babes were sitting down just like i would with their sippy cup, i didnt let them walk around the house with it all day, ya know what i mean. so they knew they had to sit at the table.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son went to a regular cup. He has not taken a sippy cup since he was 2 years old.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• regular plastic cup
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:40 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The only kind of sippy my toddler has ever used are the one's with the straws. Not the no leak kind either, I mean those hard plastic ones with the hard plastic straws... I think they are called take & toss and I got them at wal-mart. I use pipe cleaners to clean the straws. I did recently read a blog post about kids not having to use sippy cups at all. The woman that wrote it taught her kids to drink out of regular cups using samll glasses (shot glasses actually) .. here's a link to that if you want to read it: http://smallnotebook.org/2010/07/23/never-clean-a-sippy-cup-again/

Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2010