smoking while pregnant s/o

For those that claim to have quit smoking only while pregnant.... why the hell do you start back up again if you've ACTUALLY quit for 9 months?

Just a thought that crossed my mind when I was looking over another question that I still had open in another window, but it's closed now so I can't ask there.

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 1:19 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Health

• Some women can't put their children's needs before their own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• smoking isn't just about the nicotine.

it's a habit. If you've always smoked a cigarette when stressed, you're gonna wanna light one up when you get stressed.

It's also about that little break you get while smoking. For most, that little break to smoke a cigarette feels like the only break they get.

for some it's about having the cigarette in their hand or mouth.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Some woman actually lie about not smoking dureing pregnancy. My sister-in-law told her dr she had quit but still smoked so maybe there just lieing or maybe cant handle the stress im not sure it is dumb though to quit and start back
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm with you. It's not good for the kids to be breathing second-hand smoke any more than it is for the baby in utero. I know my sister quite with all 3 of her pregnancies and started up after each one. Like one of the PPs said, it has always been her coping mechanism for stress, and she had a lot of it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I've quit smoking 3 times and stress always drives me back.  I quit within 2 weeks of learning I was pregnant and stayed off the fags for 8 years.  I started smoking again when we moved from England to Canada because it was a very stressful time for me.  If I hadn't already been smoking when my dad died 2 years ago I would have started back up again then too.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Maybe because they enjoyed it and only quit for the babies sake. IDK, I have smoked for about 15 years straight now and refused to quit while I was pregnant.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• it's a difficult thing to say. my sister never quit smoking her kids are picture perfect health, my sister's children are not healthy and are sick and have many allergies and she never smoked a day in her life. I don't know what to tell you. I know that the beak is great, and it's sad that ppl can't think of a different reason to walk away (including myself), also the habit I know I tried to quit smoking and was successful the first time around with my pregnancy, but there was too much stress, so the question then is, if the chemicals get caught in the placenta and most doesn't get to the baby should I take the nicotine or take the chance of destroying the baby before it has a chance to live because I am insanely stressed? I smoked, my child is brilliant and well advanced for her age, she is completely healthy and hasn't been sick a day in her 2 1/2 years and no asthma, so, I am not an example to say quit smoking b/c....
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think it child abuse to smoke while pregnant. Besides the risk of low birth weight, asthma, SIDS and respitory infections, its sending a message to everyone loud and clear that your own bad habit means more to you than your child. I think cigarettes should be illegal anyways to everyone, but especially for pregos, you shouldn't be doing it. And starting up again after baby is stupid too, secondhand and even thirdhand smoke puts baby at risk for the things mentioned above. Cigarettes wouldn't even be allowed in the country if people weren't making so much $ off them. Its a shame when people are out for their own personal gain.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• What is there to enjoy? You enjoy spending through the nose for a product that is both harmful and lame? You enjoy smelling like an ash tray (which is MUCH worse than swamp ass)? You enjoy nasty yellow teeth? You enjoy skin that looks MUCH older than you really are? You enjoy not really being able to taste your food? You enjoy coughing up crap? You enjoy getting out of breath and wheezing? You enjoy the nasty yellow/brown film on your walls and windows, etc? You enjoy dealing with nicotine withdrawals? You enjoy getting sick more often and having it take longer to get better? You enjoy going gray early? You enjoy a raspy sick sounding voice?
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• And boo hoo... you have stress? Well here's some a news flash, EVERYONE has stress. There are a LOT of healthy ways to manage it. Stop making excuses.
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2010