Spin Off of Breastfeeding Formula feeding topic

So a PP said it is because of lack of determination that FF moms decide to FF.

3% of moms world wide cannot breast feed, the rest of the people who say that they can't just don't have the determination/want IMO

So I think it comes down to primal instincts here. Primal instincts help us make the best decisions, not for us, but for our babies, ie BF. Do these mom not have that primal instinct to do what's best?

This is the most primal and raw way to provide for your child, strip away material items and this is survival, instinctual this should be bred in us, or maybe some don't have that instinctual gene?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Well, I think the whole primal instinct thing is pretty much moot in this thing. There are too many voices telling a woman what to do nowadays. I voted up Truthteller, not because I liked her answer at all, but because it gives insight. I think women choose FFing for one of several reasons:
    1. The assumes that's the "right" food for baby, because that's all she hears about in the media or from her doctor
    2. She doesn't want it to interfere with her comfort or lifestyle
    3. She has a rigorous work schedule and is overwhelmed by the process of pumping all day long every day
    4. It's hard and she things (or is given the idea) that she "can't" breastfeed
    5. There's something functionally wrong with mother or child that prevents breastfeeding

If a woman doesn't have a choice but to work full time, than I really sympathize. Beyond that, would you want to live on supplements? Why expect your child to??
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I believe that the socially acceptable alternatives have reduced that primal instinct in general.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't think it matters as long as mommy is feeding baby!!!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• There are a variety of reasons why women choose to FF, not all of them are due to lack of determination or lack of supply but that does not make them any less valid for the woman doing the choosing. Some women aren't interested in it, some women have body issues that affect their desire to BF, and some have medications that are ultimately more necessary than BFing. I guess what bothers me most about posts like these is that there seems to be a certain faction that requires a "valid" reason from FFs as to why they don't. No one needs to justify their parenting choices to people on the internet. You do what is best for your baby, yourself and your family. Sometimes that doesn't include BFing. BFing is also not the end all be all indicator of a good mother either. I'm sure there are many that BF and then strap their child into an unsafe carseat and think nothing of it. Its only one choice of many that we make for your children.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Also, although I choose to breastfeed, I always believe that every woman has the choice to decide what to do or not to do with her body.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:37 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I dont know about that. For me the decision to Formula feed was all about what I was comfortable with. and i felt that because I hear how much baby picks up on our vibes as mothers, if i wasnt comfortable then the baby wouldnt be as well. I dont have that instinctual feeling this time around but Ive decided I would give it a try. Ive been around more and more breastfeeding, it just wasnt anything i had ever heard of growing up to tell the truth. I grew up around babies getting fed out of a bottle made of formula, to me that was "normal" to me breastfeeding wasnt "normal" but all my feelings of being uncomfortable with it, Im going to try. I know its best for baby and for me, and i want to experience it.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:37 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Holly macro, I will run out of characters if I will try to list all of the areas in which a woman living in a western country in the 21st century lost her primal instincts. Let's start with the conservation instinct, also known as the Self-preservation Instinct.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 1:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• As a mom who has done both, I completely understand why some would say breastfeeding is all about determination. With our daughter, she was our first and there so easy to care for. We had twins born a month early and one with lots of problems. I tried to breastfeed for 10 weeks and finally gave up. I still feel awful. When our youngest was born a mere 14 months after our twins, I was SO determined to breastfeed. I had 15/16 months of formula and bottles. Remember I had TWO babies on formula. I heated the bottles on the stove and spent so much time doing that that I was getting about the same amount of sleep as when I was breastfeeding. My determination with our youngest is what kept me going. He spent one week in the NICU and I saw him ONCE. He didn't learn to breastfeed till he was 7 days old. After 36 hours of him not nursing, he finally got it. He will be 20 months on thee 22nd and STILL breastfeeding. DETERMINATION.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I like adelicious response

I always say that. I have a stock up in the freezer so if anything were to happen to where I could not BF for a while, like work, like emergency, like health, tired, busy, etc then my baby has what he needs. People think it's strange and I always ask, "would you like to live off of a powdered drink for the first year of your life?" then they get it.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• so if this is the case then all you breastfeeding mommies against ff mommies.do you only serve your children organic food? do you grow it yoursel? do you feed them that stuff?.what about luch meat, hot dogs they have all sorts of bad stuff in them . do you raise your own chickens because of all the chemicals that are injected into the store bought ones. do you make your own baby food ? i mean i could go on and do you use the microwave? do you live on solar power? what about your car is it electric ?lets cut the crap i think its crazy as long as you love your child and take care of them whats the FREAKIN' difference?
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 11, 2010