What age should/did you talk to your dd about periods/sex?

I started my period young, a few weeks before I turned 10. My oldest dd is seven and she knows the basic concept of bleeding every month, but not much else. Just wondering when you had the talk with your dd?

twinmama2five

Asked by twinmama2five at 1:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We started with the heavy info on periods when she was 8. She got a book about it when she was 9. She is now 10 and I think she will not be traumatized when she actually does get her period. She will learn all about sex when she gets her period. Right now, she just knows that sex is for making babies when you're married.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 5...in dept when she's about 8or9...she just knows bout pads and monthly bleeding...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you think that she is mature enough and prepared enough to hear the rest of the story, go for it. I don't think there is really an age because each child is emotionally and physically different. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I plan on talking to mine around 10. I started at 11 and had NO idea what was going on and got so scared! I definitely don't want that to happen to her.

I think I'll just start with the basics of you bleed each month to get ready for having babies when you're married. Not gonna go into all the details of the birds and the bees ;o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughter was 8 when I went into detail about exactly what would happen and why. She's 9 now.

Answer by missanc at 10:19 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughters told about periods in the 4th grade. If you started young then you should talk to her about it a yr before she should expect it.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Always open to quesitons they had and answered. Some talk on sex came at 3yrs old due to sibilng about to be born-but we went with the flow and real talk with books was at 8yrs old.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 4:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010