Would you buy your daughter a vibrator?

My 15 yr old asked me to buy her a vibrator she had seen from an online wesbsite, and I ordered it for her. I don't see this as a big deal however when my hub found out he hit the roof and said I was promoting her sexuality. Personally I don't have a problem with masturbation and I even think it's healthy. Is my hub crazy or am I? Thanks, Sheila

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• No, I would never buy a vibrator for my daughter, or myself! I believe sex is a gift to be shared between a husband and wife, not a piece of plastic.
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 12:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Holy cow!!! First, I can't believe she actually asked you. Second, I can't believe you actually bought it! I'm with your husband with this one. What is this world coming too?
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Hmmmm....at 15 I don't think I would have bought it only because that would feel too weird for me! Maybe around 17 but I understand your perspective and masturbation is healthy and it may keep her from exploring her sexuality with other others. But I also understand your hubby getting upset plus men are very sensitive when it comes to their daughters and sex
    MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 12:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• That is just one of those things you will have to decide on your own. I do think you should have consulted your hubby first. I agree, masterbation is healthy and normal for 15 year olds. Just make sure that is all she uses. Its the safest kind of sex she can have. No STDS, no babies!! Teach her respect for herself. You reacted well to it. She knows she can go to you about anything. Keep those lines of communication open with her!!!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I guess it's better to give her a vibrator than to let her go have sex, but I can see where your husband would have an issue. That is his little girl, my SO won't even let our 6 year old have a bikini. It's great that you guys have an open relationship, but where does that end? If she asks you to buy her whips and hand cuffs do you buy that? No, but when you tell her that she's going to say "but you bought me the vibrator!" and is she going to look at the vibrator as a free pass. Not everyone uses them alone. I think no matter what it's going to come back to bite you. I understand your reasoning, but I wouldn't have done it.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• At least she wont get pregnant off of it. and better letting her explore her own body before some dude she knows for a couple hours from a party will do it.

So i think she is very mature for asking you. And very good that you bought it for her. I would def. buy a vibrator for my daughter is she would say "mommy. i do not want to have sex yet. but i want to know my body ect."...
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I have to agree with the first two posters. When she gets older she's going to wish she would have kept it for her husband...Even though it's not with someone it's still ruining the special bond between two people. And Kenzies_momma is right. What has this world came to? It's just morally wrong......But do what floats your boat!
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I think it is great that you two are that open with each other about sex. I agree it is a healthier way to explore her sexual feelings than going out and having sex at her age.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I say kudos to you for having the kind of relationship where your daughter can talk to you about those things. I think you did the right thing, although for some reason society puts a stigma on sex toys. Both my daughters have them and I don't think there is anything wrong with them, although I can see how your husband would be upset about his "little girl" having one. Good luck, I'm on your side.
    barbar73069

Answer by barbar73069 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I think it's great that she felt she could talk to you about this, and I do agree that it's better for her to have a vibrator versus having sex at her age.
    The only thing I do not agree with is you buying it for her. She's a big girl - if she wants something, she should've bought it herself.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 1:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2008