Can someone give me some advice about cerebral palsy?

I have a 13 year old son who is mute, he can walk even though the neurologist said he wouldnt be able to... but he is so stubborn and when we sit down and try to teach him something he laughs and refuses to try to repeat and point and he has trouble remembering things. When we take him out on family days his stubborness gives us a hard time by screaming at us and refuses to participate with his siblings. I want him to learn sign lang. but he laughs at me, i wont lose hope but if there is anyone out there who can give me some ideas on how to help him i would appreciate it !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Align your expectations with what you have any evidence at all he can do. Expecting him to speak when he can't or won't is... well, that's like ordering frustration from Amazon. Why would you do that to yourself or anyone you love?

Frustrating and controlling him is clearly not working the way you want it to, so I would gently suggest that you select a different tactic.

If you want someone to learn a language, the simplest way for that to happen is to use it around them... which, obviously, means you need to learn it yourself. Of course, it would be ridiculous for him to learn sign language and have no one around him who understood it.

It's good to hear that he's still got a sense of humor and is enjoying his life. Many children in his position have lost their sense of humor and become violent and moody, long before his age. Clearly you're doing a lot right.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• im sorry but why is he just now learning sign? myy dd has cp and cant talk or walk yet she is only 3 but we have been doing sign with her since she was at least a year. does he not get speech?? they should be working on it. or he should have a little thing that has buttons on it that can talk for him. or card with pic on them to help him comumicate.
    BloodyKisses

Answer by BloodyKisses at 2:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010