If your neighbor asked for something, would you give it to them? adult content

I have been approached by several different neighbors over the past year for back rent payments, past due power bills, money for Rx's. The list is endless. If they say they cannot pay it back then I am fine with it. If they say they can repay the money, say, the next payday, then I do expect them to pay me back. I have taken the sign off the roof that says "The First National Bank of Me" is now defunct. I wish I could help everyone, but more then one request in a six month time frame, is too much for me. Am I just being a heartless bitch?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 2:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, you're not being a heartless bitch. They're taking advantage of your kindness.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm all about giving out a cup of sugar, but no money.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'll help with food if I have it but definatly not money.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 2:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No, u are not being a heartless bitch they are being selfish. They think you are a bank or something.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Ill give them a cup of sugar thats about it, the only one i help with money is my gma!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow, I thought you meant like sugar or milk or something. I was thinking, "well, of course. Who wouldn't"? lol

Our closest neighbors are my in-laws, so of course I would. However, they make way more than we do and my mil is insane about saving/budgeting, so they would never need it. We barely know or or don't know at all the other neighbors (one family my hubby knows a little, the rest, not at all). So, no, I would not give any of them money. I would offer any other kind of assistance that might help them out, though (some free babysitting, groceries, etc.).
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 3:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think word has gotten around your neighborhood that your a pushover sugar, you need to grow some backbone and learn how it feels to say NO! I used to loan cash to people when there was an agreement of payback by a certain SPECIFIC day and time and more than once it was not paid back by that specific day and time. After things like this started happening to me more and more, I swore that I would NEVER TRUST ANYONE ever again!!! And I don't! I also vowed to myself to always tell the truth, no matter how hurtful it may be and I always have since! Treat others as you would like to be treated! good luck
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• sounds like they are taking advantage of you. being asked every once in awhile for something is ok...but that many people that many times.

i would lend things to my neighbor if she needed it, but if i was being repeatedly asked for things over and over again ...they are taking advantage of you
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 5:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ill help with a can of tomatoe or sugar but they should go somewhere to be helped u have a family of your own to take care of
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree Truthteller, I helped one, then they must have spread the word around that I was an easy touch. I do have the money, because I do without a lot of the extra's like pro manicures and pedicures. I get my hair done at a local beauty college instead of a fancy hairdresser. I am a total budget nerd, so I never have to worry about the power being shut off, of not making the house payment, etc. I had a neighbor who got evicted because I told her no when she asked for two months rent. The reason I said no was, she said he would be home AFTER she got done getting her nails redone/refilled, she also had to stop by the store to pick up some ciggies and then go by the package store to get a bottle of gin for the weekend. Sorry...
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 3:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2010