How do you if your water is leaking??

I am 38 weeks and Friday my doctor told me that I was 1 cm dialated and that I could go into labor soon....I think that my water might be breaking but I am not sure what to look for...Can anyone help me out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If youre water is breaking you will see it... you will probably see a lot of water coming out ;-) When that happens you get ready to leave the house and go to the hospital. Do not panic when it happens. It not dangerous, but you need to go to the hospital when youre water breaks.

It only gets dangerous if you dont go to the hospital to let the doctor take care of you.

good luck :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If you have a steady leak of fluid, it's probably amniotic fluid. Call your OB or go to the hospital, there is a very simple test they can do with a strip of litmus paper to see if your water broke.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my water did "break" like what i was expecting in the movies..i had a very slow leak (at 38 weeks i was also 1 cm) it was barely anything coming out...to be honest i felt like i laughed too hard and peed a little and it happened every few hours. when it didnt stop after a few hours thats when i went to the doc and yep my water broke! if its clear liquid its probably definitely amniotic fluid and i would call the doc, dont wait for contractions...mine didnt start until 36 hours later..needless to say i was in for a marathon. if it continues def call your doc so they can test it! good luck
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Waters don't always break in a fast downpour mine slowly trickled out throughout the day....think of it like slight discharge but clear and not mucousy. It is important to find out because once your water breaks you are susceptible to infection. Hours after my water started leaking I went for an hour walk and as soon as I came home I stared having intense contractions. My advice is to go for a walk and then wait a couple hours to see if contractions start. Don't shower and be mindful when you pee to wipe from front to back. Regardless of whether or not you get contractions go to your doc or if thats not possible to to the hospital and tell them you think your water has broken and is trickling down. They will put you in a delivery room and check and if it has broken they will kepp you there. Good luck and congrats on your soon to arrive baby!
    MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 1:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008