Anyone know anything about publishing a childrens book?

I wrote a poem for my Dd and was wanting to publish it into a childrens book. My Dh is an artist, so I want him to illustrate it. Do you think this is even possible?
I was reading online about it, and it seems impossible to publish a book? Why does it have to be so hard?? Geez.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can go the self publishing route, but you'll have to have enough money to do and then you'll have to try to sell the books to area stores yourself. The other route is to get yourself an agent that can get your book published through a traditional publisher. This is a lot harder to do, but if you can accomplish it, you'll make a lot more money and your book will be marketed nationwide by the publisher. I suggest you go to the library and asked to see the latest copy of The Writer's Market. It comes out yearly and has a list of agents and publishers.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i have heard of a lot of ppl doing self publishing.....google that....you have less distribution but its a start and sometimes if you do that, then try to get a larger publishing compnay to take it they might...in which case you would need more than one poem though. more like ak ids poem book.

moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 5:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i don't know, the sites i was refered to wanted almost $1000, up front before they would look at the book! i would sudjest going to the BBB before turning your poem over. you want to make sure that who ever you get isn't ripping you off. good luck!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you only have 1 poem then I don't think self-publishing would be your best route, unless you write more poems or gather several moms together and have a collection of poems that you could turn into a book. Your best bet would be to go to your local library and check out one of the children's publishing books. There are several of them, for example- Children's book publishing for Dummies. In the book, you will find a list of children's book publishing companies, what they are looking for, and how to send your work. I would also consider sending it to a children's or mother's magazine to have it published in the magazine. They would probably be the easiest way to get it published. Also, will you pm me. I have written two children's books, and I am going to self-publish one of them and I need an artist to draw the pictures. I would love to discuss this with you.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It's a pretty long poem and I just wanted it to be a short childrens book.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010