Low milk supply

hi

I am new to the site and I could really do with some help.

I gave birth to twins in December 2009 and have been partially breastfeeding them. My daughter at 5 months refused to be nursed from the breast and my son has his moments. So from day one I made the decision to express.

It was all going well until the past few weeks when my milk has suddenly dropped and I mean dropped to producing 10z. I pump for an hour at a time 3 times a day.

I am taking fenugreek seeds in the hope of increasing my milk supply as well as occasionly drinking mothers tea. I am having oats in the morning but nothing.

Please can anyone help me? I am desperate and frustrated.

bluestar104

Asked by bluestar104 at 7:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is 8 months. Good for you. I wish you the best and it's been almost one full year. If you changed to a nuk nipple bottle system or something like that (of have you already since you express it), and used a milk based formula, i know their expensive, but even if you bought carnation evaporated, by the can, it would keep... be easier to handle than gallon jugs, and store much more lengths on your shelf. Evaporated is fortified with A & D, and had some iron, it will dilute to exact milk measurements. No need to add anything, but perhaps a liquid baby dropper of vitamin supplement.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Pumping is not an indicator of low milk supply. A pump just doesn't create the motion that a mouth can so it just can't express what kids can. The milk is there but your pump isn't getting it. Supply is based on demand. If you're not pumping often enough and the pump isn't demanding enough, it can CAUSE low supply. The best thing to do is feed at the breast on demand. Your breasts have to be stimulated to demand milk so they will supply milk. The more you nurse, the more you make.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• BTW do not give infants milk and mixed vitamins. It's not healthy. They're designed to have breast milk.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Sometimes your milk just dries up on it's own. Mine never created milk the way it was supposed to and I couldn't breastfeed after 6 weeks with my first, 4 weeks with my second and 2 1/2 weeks with my third. I was told to drink lots of water, take those supplements (Fenugreek) you are taking, I also took "Mother's Milk" which you can find at supplement stores (that may be the Fenugreek, I can't recall)... I did it all. So it sounds to me as if you are doing what you can. I say good luck and if you don't start making more just supplement with formula. :) I know from personal experience it won't harm your baby in any way! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 7:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Try this: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Pumping is very difficult. so good for you for going so long. It will help if you could get at least one of the twins to re-latch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Did you get your period back? Sometimes that causes a drop in supply.

If you want to get your supply back up, pump more often. YOu don't have to pump for an hour. Usually around 30 minutes is plenty. Try pumping as often as possible. To establish supply pumping moms pump every 2-3 hours until we are at a goot supply. I suppose "re-establishing" is the same.

There is a group here on Cafemom called "Exclusively Pumping Mommies" . Cheack it out, you might get some good infor through past posts and if you join, the moms there are very responsive and helpful.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• wow thank you all for your replies, it means the world you all took the time to read my question and reply back.

Hi Amileegirl I did get my period back infact every month for the past 4 months. I've been attempting to pump every 2-3 hours. Seems to be going ok, the key is not to let myself get stressed.

memigen, I'm trying to get my son to relatch back onto the breast but he is so distracted, a real wriggler. At most he drinks for 15 minutes. Then we both get frustrated. I so want to breastfeed both my kids but my daughter has no interest or patience. any tips on relatching? The video you posted was quite useful. Thank you all once again
    bluestar104

Comment by bluestar104 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• u rock for doing it for 8 months! there is a group here for pumping moms u should join! and i had the same problem and i started drinking a protein drink 2 times a day it has doubled my supply!! i take herbalife drinks but slim fast and special k work too! here is a link http://www.herbaloft.com/3106.html i use the formula 1 nutritional shake! it works great and taste pretty good! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I pumped for 18 months with my last baby. I had to have pumping marathons several times during that duration. I would pump every 2 hours for 3 days or until my supply increased (normally 3 days did it). Increase your fluids while you are pumping and RELAX try not to get upset about your decrease...stress actually makes it worse.
    msmaddox

Answer by msmaddox at 5:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You know, some babies are just efficient and don't need to nurse a marathon. You should visit kellymom.com for relatching articles. And you might find some useful information at drjacknewman.com
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010