i don't remember my son ever being like this...or has it just been too long for me?

My son is almost 6 now. I am babysitting my neice who is almost 15 months old. I NEVER remember my son being so destructive. I even babyproofed my housed this time before she came over and she has still managed to destroy everything. I know its expected but i just remember my son being so calm and good. My neice is climbing all over everything, banging everything, spitting everything out, throwing toys against the windows and walls. It almost makes me not want to have another child. Have i just forgotten what its like to have a baby in the house or was i just blessed to have an angel of a first child? ...then again, could it be that shes has a different parenting style at home than what i gave my son? If i had to deal with a child like this everyday i would def need a supernanny or some super drugs.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Its probably because she is being taught differently than your son was.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Probably a different parenting style. Just remember though, each child has a different personality. Just because your first was calm, doesn't necessarily mean you second will be as well. Then again, 2nd baby could be just like your son. You just never know!
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It could be her personality, she may just be very very hyper. Or she may not have been raised the way your son was. I can tell you now tha tmy 15 month olds know what No means, and haven't destroyed anything yet (although I'm Not letting my guard down with DD...she's a sneaky little thing ROFL!) But my nephew, whos about five months older was very different at their age. He'd hit and shove (yes at 15 months old) if they even wanted to play with his toys, and he'd glare at you if he didn't like something. And he was very destructive. But that's because his parents don't enforce the rules as much as I do. Buth I really don't have to do much here, my kids are actually well behaved, even for their age. I've had more than one person tell me that they are the most well behaved 1 year olds they have ever seen, and we always get compliments on how quiet they are when we're out and about.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think it's more the parenting style. It makes such a huge difference in the way children behave. Too many children are not told "no" because parents don't understand that most 8-month olds know what "no" means and can be taught to obey it. It's very sad to me that so many have lost the concept of parenting as training.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It can be parenting style, but it can just be personality too. Our first was the dream child, very calm and we could take him anywhere, knowing he would be well behaved and listen. Our second exhausted us! He was so active and couldn't sit still for as long as our first. He was very spontaneous and tons of fun, though.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:53 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i believe it is most likely the child's personality. babies are different in the womb, why wouldn't they be different outside the womb? i have 5 kids, some are mellow and some are crazy : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• maybe she's a mama's girl. she does it only cuz mama left her. my oldest would pea all over the inlaws couch when they changed her. she hid the keys to the car and for a whole month he had to catch rides cuz we didn't have a car! found them after a month in her toy box. she hid them inside a toy at the bottom of her toy box! my other two didn't do that. every kid is different.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Every child is different, remember that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Her personality is just different than your sons. The parenting may be a bit different as well, but I noticed differences between my older two and my youngest son. The baby is constantly running, the other two could play quietly for a really long time. I don't think I've changed that much :), just the difference in kids.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:40 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My oldest daughter was like that. Very "curious". I put it in quotes because everytime I meet a destructive toddler, his/her parents always laugh it off with "Oh, she's just curious". My duaghter was very hyper, very tempermental and very destructive. She eventually mellowed out but those toddler years were definitely a challenge.

My son, on the other hand, was the exact opposite. He was very content to play with whatever you gave him and never got into anything he wasn't supposed to. You could tell him "no" once, twice at the most and he would never even attempt to touch it again. They just had entirely different personalities but the same parent. It's hard to say at 15 months what it is but I, personally would probably guess that it's just a difference in personalities.

My youngest is 16 months right now and is somewhere in between where the older two were at this age. Curious but not in a destructive way.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2010