Hysterectomy?

My MIL is going in for a hysterectomy next month and the doctor told her she was going to be down for about 6 weeks, is this normal? We are just really worried because she has had so many other health problems, she is diabetic and she has had a couple of strokes. Any information would be helpful.

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Health

• My MIL had a full hysterectomy earlier this year, and now that I thought about it, yeah she was down for about 4-5 weeks. I mean, she felt better, but she was still really really sore, and even though she thought she could do stuff for herself (i.e. clean the bathtub!!) She just found that it pushed her healing back a couple days.

So yeah, the 6 weeks sounds about right, but everyone heals differently.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• 6-8 weeks is normal for a hysterectomy recovery period. If she is diabetic she is probably gonna take longer than that, because diabetics don't heal as fast as a regular healthy person.
    Eny8A

Answer by Eny8A at 6:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Thank you all for your answers, it eases my worry somewhat. Now I just have to wait and pray that she makes it through the surgery without any complications.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2008