How old do you think your first child should be before you try to have a second?

LucasMom22210

Asked by LucasMom22210 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• We never not try to stop a pregnancy-but it worked out that each of our kids are 3mths shy of 3yrs
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 8:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well, I had my second only 18 months after the first. It was hard but I did it and it hasn't been all that bad. But I would have been much happier to wait till they were two or three years apart in age. Plus, you are supposed to give your body a two year minimum to heal from the birth of a child. My little boy is three years younger than his sister and I think it is much easier than having the girls so close. Although I have to admit that you forget some things when it is so long between kids! lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• atleast out of diapers. i want another now..my son is 6. we are trying. I wasnt "trying" to have anymore kids for a period in my life because i was single and dh and i just got married april 09..we wanted to wait atleast a year...now we are just waiting for it to happen i guess.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My oldest daughter is 3 and my youngest was just born. Perfect ages for me since my oldest will go to half a day of preschool.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It totally depends on what you and DH prefer. We wanted one out of diapers first so we spaced them 3 years apart. My SIL didn't want one out of diapers.......said she wouldn't have another if she was "done" with diapers, so she spaced hers 18 months apart. Another girl I know has three under 5 for that reason also. Now, being able to get pregnant the second, third, time plays into it of course! Do what's best for you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i think it's all about family dynamics and what is right for that family. a child with special needs may need more time with parents than another child
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Health-wise, I think at least a year old. Your body needs time to recover after a pregnancy, both for mom's health and the new baby's health. Personally, I prefer the older one out of diapers before having another. Mine are 4.5 years apart.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm not sure I should be the one answering this question because we had our 1st 11 months after we were married, 2nd 2.5 years later, 3rd 11 months later and 4th 15 months after 3rd. I wouldn't change a thing about when they were born. My children have grown up close and to this day will tell anyone their best friend are their brother and sisters.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• out of diapers and headed off to preschool.. ours are 3 years apart and i love it
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The World Health Org recommends waiting at least 3 years before ttc if you had a vaginal birth. It takes that long to recover and have the best womb environment for the baby. You may need to wait longer if you had a c-section. 

You may think the recommendation is crazy because you know people with kids close together and everything is fine. The thing is everything isn't fine in the US. Despite spending the most on OB care of the developed nations we have the worst (or nearly the worst) maternal and infant mortality rates. Our bf initiation and duration rates suck.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2010