How did you introduce your baby to milk?

How did you ladies introduce your lil one to milk and at what age did you do it at.
My DD will 1 years old this month on the 27th. For the last 3 days I have been giving her a cup of milk.
Thanks in advance for the advice

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 8:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At one yr of age exactly-cold turkey from formula. My kids took right to it so I think they read "the book" also-that was our joke.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 8:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• my kids went from breast milk to water. i don't find it to be natural or healthy to drink the milk from another species. we get calcium from green veggies, and vitamin d from the sun.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I just started giving her warm milk in a sippy cup when I would normally nurse. She was down to two nursings a day so I quit BF and went straight to milk at the same time. Somehow it was easier this way. She LOVES her milk and always has!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I switched gradually starting w/ putting milk in w/her formula, adding more and more w/each bottle. She didn't have any trouble w/stomach upset of refusal so I'd say on the second day she was on whole milk. She drank a lot of water also. She had a bottle at certain times in the day but for that "just want a sip here and there" it was just water. I didn't give her a lot of juice due to the decay it can cause. Hope this helps. :-)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:10 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Kids don't need to drink cow's milk. Formula was invented using cow's milk to keep babies alive until they could survive on foods. At 12 mo children don't need the milk of any other mammals. Milk can cause constipation, digestive problems, eating issues, and obesity. In most countries children don't drink milk. My three children never had a glass of milk in their lives and they are now adults.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I started at 12months by giving it to her once a day and gradually increased the amount until she was fully on milk.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I never used formula & wanted to supplement her as she got older so about 10 mo I started giving her a sippy cup of goats milk. Goat's milk is much easier for the tummy to digest & w/ all the milk allergies out there I figured I'd give her something easy to start w/. Now she's 15 mo & I mix whole milk w/ hemp milk. Hemp milk is high in omega oils.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I gave him some milk in a sippy cup at his meals to get him used to it then I think a week before he turned 1 we finished the jug of formula so I just put him on milk. Now he just gets 6oz of warm milk for bed in a bottle.
    ...Im still working on getting rid of bottles all together.
    NotUrMama72

Answer by NotUrMama72 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I started giving my son milk right around 10 months old (ALERT THE MILK POLICE!). I gave him an ounce the first day, then when he seemed to accept it, I gave him 2 ounces the next day, then 4 ounces. After that, I would let him have one small cup a day. If he had shown any sort of adverse reaction in those first few days, I would have stopped offering the milk and tried again at a later time.

Oh, he's 3 now. He has no digestive problems, he eats as well as any other 3 year old, and he's certainly not on his way to being obese.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I said, Simon this is Milk, Milk this is Simon.....lmao

I started Whole Milk around 10mths. By 12mths, he was totally off formula and on whole milk. We all drink 2% at home, and I am so happy to not have to buy 2 different kinds of milk. My kids drink milk with breakfast and dinner, water throughout the day and juice in the evening if they eat a decent dinner.

Milk is so yummy, and healthy and good for you, that I don't understand why people think milk is "bad"

Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010