Have you ever realized you aren't listening to your kids?

They walk in when I'm doing something and just start prattling on about something and I just go uh-huh a few times and realize after about 10-minutes of nonstop chatter that I haven't been listening at all. Esp if its about video games again...ugh

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD does that to me - I'll be involved in something and she'll just start talking. Then she gets mad at me if I don't respond the right way. I keep explaining to her that in order to have a conversation you need to make sure the other person is able to have one at the time. She's 10.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:37 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i do that too sometimes! My son is great to have a conversation with (he's 4) but sometimes i'm in the middle of something else. He particularly likes to start rattling on about nothing when i'm actually wanting to sit and watch a show (you know, the ONE show i'd like to watch that isn't a cartoon!) Other than that I do try to listen, but i catch myself sometimes going "wow, he's been talking nonstop for 15 minutes and i have no idea what it's about..."
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 9:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I do it all the time when driving down the road, he will be 3 in Sept and never shuts up, sometimes you just have to concentrate on what you're doing. God only knows what I am going agree to one day LOL
    jasonsmommom

Answer by jasonsmommom at 9:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• when i'm busy answering these questions lol
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Lol I'm sure Ill be where you are soon. My son is just starting to be able to talk to me so I love to listen to ever adorable word :) Even if it is saying mama over and over :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i do it to dh when he goes on about games but the kids.. not so far
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• "My DD does that to me - I'll be involved in something and she'll just start talking. Then she gets mad at me if I don't respond the right way. I keep explaining to her that in order to have a conversation you need to make sure the other person is able to have one at the time. She's 10."

My Autistic son does that too. He doesn't seem to realize a conversation is 2-ways, not just me being his sounding board. As long as I say "uh huh" or cool he assumes I'm listening or into whatever it is he's watching on tv. There's some part of their brain that "doesn't get it". Also, if I don't agree with or say what he wants to hear he sometimes gets a meltdown or starts arguing, so I just "agree" to make him happy if its not worth fighting about. Gotta love Special Needs...ugh
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Aug. 11, 2010