I want to start a small business. What is a good business?

I have a vacant down stairs of a building I can use. It also has a kitchen area.
I stay in a rural area. The building is in the town part.
I love children but for me to open a day care they want me to put up a fence
and add a separate drive way. Then sent samples in of the paint to test for
lead. I don't have all that extra money. I want to make money. Any ideas?
I need so ideas from other business mind people. Thanks for all the help.

JAZZYJEAN

Asked by JAZZYJEAN at 9:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I 2nd hand clothing store, antiques store, photography....

It depends. What are you passionate about?
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think you should choose a business you will enjoy. If you don't love what you're doing, I doubt you will be very successful because you won't be willing to put in the time and effort.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Indoor mini golf, laser tag, arcade games. One of those "bounce party places", You could just paint it and make it look really nice and since it has a kitchen rent it out for DIY parties. Kinda like "Don't feel like having 20-30 people in your house or having to do all that cleaning/prep work, then bring the party here"
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:45 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You shouldn't start a business that you're not 1. knowlegable in and 2. passionate about.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would start an antique business or a thrift/secondhand store of some wort.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• First off, sit down and make a list of your strengths and weakeness. What are you skilled at? What do you love doing? How much money do you have to invest in your business? Make a list of all the ideas you have and don't eliminate any until you start doing your research. Is there something lacking in you area, a niche of some kind that you could provide? You'll also need to educate yourself. Read a lot of books, do market research, attend a small business seminar. If you're low on cash, there is a book called Home Based Business You Can Start for Under $5,000 that might help steer you in the right direction.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• What area are your work experience, knowledge, and education in? What things do you enjoy? What is the business climate in your area? You said it's a '"rual" area, so what types of businesses are needed in the area or wanted by the people in the area? What is you knowledge of BOLI laws, wage/hour laws, payroll, business accounts..etc?

All of these factors weigh in on what is the best business type to start.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Instead of day care, could you be a little simpler. In most towns all children need a little library or reading spot. Even in that it's not a library, have some books "donated " to you, ask around, put on the utility poles, you want some books for a reading room for "children" only. This will be a nice spot for moms, kids, and some community minds to frequent and ask for donations of money , but don't expect to get wealth, it will be more of a store front reading / playroom.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would start here: http://www.score.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 9:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Entrepreneur has a list of business ideas on their website. http://www.entrepreneur.com/businessideas/index.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010