S/O- how do you feel about polygamy?

So we've been talking about gay marriage a lot a lot a lot.

But you know what? Polygamy bothers me. I can't imagine sharing my husband.
(to be fair he said men that would do that are just selfish, so even if it was legal, I should feel secure.)

Do you think if they legalized it, it would have any effect on your marriage, and how do you feel about it in general?

Do you feel like it's right? (it does have Biblical basis, kind of)
Will you watch the TLC reality show?

Do you think a man should be able to take as many wives as he wants, and how would it affect taxes?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 9:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it is a good idea.
    1. How on earth would they deal with property issues in a divorce of 1 spouse.
    2. A great number of those currently praciticing it (although illegally) are not able to afford it and depend upon PA to feed their families. It is a drain on the system when people choose irresponsible lifestyles.
    3. While it is mentioned in the Bible, it isn't the tradition regular marriage is and many Christian faiths have not ever practiced it.
    4. Polygamy has a history of women's rights issues.
    5. I don't SHARE.

Finally, I sort of agree with my husband.............Polygamy is a "mental illness," no man in his right mind would want more than ONE wife. LOL..bless his little heart, he has a handful with his one!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Mulitple husbands?
    Naw....hell no...what sane woman would want more than one husband?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I am all for whatever consenting adults want to do, but with polygamy I think it would get too complicated in more ways than one.  A lot of the laws would have to be changed to accomodate this and I find if it is hard to make it with a partner, can you imagine the turmoil with more?

Answer by older at 9:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I came to the conclusion this morning that I needed another wife in this house.......so maybe polygamy aint such a bad idea. coming home to a homecooked meal sounds like a win win
    Nah....lemmee search the classified for a nanny instead......
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think it's wrong in pretty much every way possible. I never used to give it much thought until reports (books written by those who managed to escape and televised documentaries) starting flying out of polygamy towns of horrific abuse, the "marriage" of 14 year old girls to men old enough to be their father or grandfather, young men being run out of those towns so the older men get these young girls, in at least one case a police officer sworn to uphold the state's laws being married to an underage relative of one of his wives, etc. Then there is the fact that these men can almost never legally make enough money to support their numerous children. The truth is most of the time these marriages are to underage girls, not women, and they are used to breed as many children as possible. It's truly disgusting and should be seen for what it is, a bunch of dirty old men who have free reign over young girls.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't have a problem with consenting adults having whatever type of relationship they choose. As long as everyone is on board. I have a problem with child brides, or those that are related in some way marrying.

I think it it became legal, it would be easier to spot fraud. Some of these women purposely use public assistance when it isn't necessary. If you are going to marry a harem, be prepared to feed and clothe them, just like everyone else is expected to (not speaking of issues beyond a family's control).

Personally speaking, it's not for me. I don't like the idea of sharing a husband.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• How many men in the Bible had two wives AFTER the ten commandments were written?

MANY MANY MANY!!! That doesn't mean it is right. The bible isn't always the best place for moral character when taken word for word. That just proves it,.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Not for me, I'll cut a _itch

But if thats what others want, I don't care, be happy

The main issue I have with it now are there are many YOUNG women are being lured in and not being treated well

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• TLC has a thing for big families ! lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• As long as they made it legal for multiple husbands not just multiple wives. Honestly I think it would be a good thing because if it was legalized it would be regulated. Think about how many of those 14 yr old girls could have been saved sooner if the polygamous community did not have to hide.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010