How to get 13 mo old to fall asleep on his own

I have been breastfeeding my son since birth. That has always been the way that he goes to sleep, by nursing. He sleeps in his crib by himself for most of the night. But naps are a different story. He will only sleep in my arms/lap. No matter how tired he is, if I lay him down in his crib, he wakes up immediately and cries. I've done the whole let him cry it out thing, but it doesn't work. He just stands up in his crib and cries and cries, and won't fall back asleep or lay down.
Does anyone have any suggestions? How do I get him used to going to sleep on his own? He's 13 months old now, I think it's time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried giving him a bottle, instead of you? thats what i did.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• He already has music playing in his room for sleeping. It's not about getting him sleepy, it's the fact that he knows mommy will come in there eventually and pick him up :/
    Lindz83

Answer by Lindz83 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• All you can do is establish a routine, and put him to bed. At the age he is now, you will have to listen to him cry. I would close the door and leave the room. After a few minutes, go back in and lay him down. Leave again. Wait longer. Then start going to the door and telling him you are here, but he needs to go to sleep. It's going to be painful to break this habit, but you can do it by being consistent. These are the habits that are best formed from the very beginning.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:50 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Ferber method. worked for us!
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2010