How do we say Good-bye?

Every night I take my 13 month old son into his room, get his blanket, sit in the rocker and give him a bottle of warm milk before bed but I'd like to get him off his bottle. At what age and how did you get your little ones off their bottles?

NotUrMama72

Asked by NotUrMama72 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Before the age of 1 for allmy kids I started them on the sippy cup before hand and then I would just lay them in bed and tell them good night it didn't seem hard then. They would cry for a while if it went to long I'd walkback in there tell them it was ok and go to sleepit got better after just a few days but I wouldn't give it to them very much during the day either.I never rocked my kids
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I just changed my DD (she's 14 months) from her bottle at night to a sippy cup with a top that looks like a straw, but isn't. It worked great she hasn't seems to notice, so I will be changing that to a regular sippy cup soon!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• At 12 mo he no longer needed formula or cow's milk. You can eliminate both at the same time. If you don't want to be stuck rocking him to sleep for years you can just let him fall asleep when he is tired. When I am caring for my bf grandson and he is tired I hold him in the living room and he falls asleep in my lap or on my chest and I am still able to be involved with other family members or watch tv. Once toddlers are good and asleep you can lay them down in their bed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:51 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I switched my son just after he turned one. Just gave him the sippy to try out during the day, then one day he only got the sippy even with bedtime. He switched easily.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thanks for all the tips! My son uses a sippy cup during the day and when it's nap time I just put him in his crib and tell him it's nap time so I think I'll start to just put him in his crib at night. I'm kind of anal about bed time and am not the type to just let him fall asleep whenever or wherever. I took the bottle away about a month ago and he did okay but he'd wake up in the middle of the night crying because he was hungry so we started with the bottle again....
    NotUrMama72

Comment by NotUrMama72 (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• At 10 months we started substituting the sippy cup instead of the bottle at one feeding/day, but he wasn't very attached since he had nursed until he was 9 months and only then gone to a bottle. The last one to go was the one before brushing his teeth for bedtime, but he had much less problems with that than I had anticipated.

Answer by missanc at 9:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Right about 10 months.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I had both my kids off the bottle completly at 9mths. As soon as they can start eatting semi-solid foods switch them to a cup.

I also NEVER feed my kids at bedtime. I would give them their last bottle or sippy cup 30-45min before bed. I wanted them to learn early on that eatting does not equal sleeping.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• All of mine were 1. We let them "feed" animals with their bottle. DS fed my uncle's horse. DD fed my moms dogs. We then told them that the horsie/doggie needed the bottle more than he/she did now, so it would be really nice if he/she let them have it.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• well we went cold turkey. it wasnt easy it took three nights for her to get that she was not getting a bottle any more. but we did sippy cups with water. no milk or juice at bed time. some nights it works and other times it doesnt but the bottles are a thing of the past
    amazinbabymama9

Answer by amazinbabymama9 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010