When did the law on maternity leave change in MA?

I thought it was always 12wks. For the pass few days I've been hearing 8wks on the news.

Cassandre

Asked by Cassandre at 9:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There are 3 different laws in Mass. the you may qualify for depending on your employer. FMLA is a federal law that large employers who have more than 50 employees have to follow. THis law gives you up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for the birth of a child. If you work for a smaller employer in Mass. you may only qualify for the MMLA which is for employer who have 6 employees or more and this only entitles you to 8 weeks of unpaid leave for the birth of a child. Obviously if you work for an employer that is required to follow the FMLA you would want to take your leave under that act rather than the MMLA but the MMLA is great for people who work for small employer and do not have access to the FMLA. Most states only have FMLA and individuals who work for smaller employers and need to take leave are left with no options. This site has more info http://www.masslegalhelp.org/employment-unemployment/time-off-personal-need#1
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 9:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have taken 2 maternity leaves in the state of Massachusetts, my most recent being the Fall of 09. We are covered under the FMLA (family & medical leave act) which says that by law, your employer must provide you with up to 12 weeks of maternity leave (paid/partially paid or unpaid depending on who you work for). I work for the state, so for my leave I was required to use my PTO (paid time off) to cover my absence or else I could take it unpaid.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010