How long was your labor?

(I'm just curious, most people practically faint when they hear I was in labor with my oldest for 81 hours, LOL).

1st child (now 10) - 81 hours
2nd child (almost 9) - 8 hours
3rd child (almost 4) - 4 hours

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 9:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Oh, I have you beat!!! lol

#1 was 36 hours

#2 was 42 hours

and, drum roll please.....

I was in labor with #3 for 8 flippin days! It was insane, but turned out to be the best of my birth experiences.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 7 hours total.

JGRIMMER: Because midwives know that labor can last a long time and she would give birth eventually. No need for drugs or a c-section. That is the idea crazy doctors believe in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Long labor is absolutely ***NEVER*** a reason to perform a MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• from about the time i'd say i was in active labor, with intense/painful ctx...

1st, 8-ish hours
    2nd, 4-ish hours

....and while i am grateful for my relatively short labors, i agree with obbydobbie & braden's mom that "long labor" is not in itself a justification for a surgical birth... i believe that it's often given as a justification for c-section and that's why the c-section rate is alarmingly high. "failure to progress" patooeey. :(
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 1st-13 hours
    2nd-7 hours
    3rd-15 minutes

All 3 natural births
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 26 hours from the time they started me on Pitocin to when they pulled her out by c-section. The doctor started me on Pitocin around 6 on Wednesday evening. 8 am Thursday morning they broke me water even though I know now I wasn't dilated enough for it. Because of that, I had to stay. DD started to go into distress so they were insistent on a c-section.

Knowing what I know now though, I will be seeking out a midwife for a homebirth for any future children.
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Had contractions for 22 hours, they stopped for about 10 hours, then started again and 10 or 11 hours later dd was born. I was glad I used a midwife, because if I had gone to an OB they probably would have done a c-section. But dd came out just fine on her own! I got to my midwifes birthing center at around 7am, was 7cm and dd was born around 9am.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I meant having you beat as a joke, btw.... My MW still laughs that I am the second longest laborer that she's ever met, second to herself that is! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 32 hours in the L&D
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 8.5 hours from first contraction to birth.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2010