can you brush a baby's teeth?

My dd is nine and a half months and the doctor told me I can start brushing her teet. How would you do this? With just water? Won't she swallow it? I'm confused lol.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They make training toothpaste that does not have fluoride in it and is safe to swallow. There are different brands and flavors.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If she has teeth, they make a baby toothpaste and fingertip toothbrush. It's safe for her to swallow. Once she gets to toddler stage, they make a toddler toothpaste with no fluoride in it until she learns how to spit.

I have been brushing gums/teeth since 2 months...I just used a wet cloth in the beginning until teeth came out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You can do it with just plain water, or they make unflouridated "toothpaste" if you prefer. We always used just water. There are fingertip brushes that you slide over your finger, which I always was more comfortable with when they were little, or you can buy just a regular "baby" toothbrush.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• whole foods has a great selection of non toxic non fluoride toothpastes. I kept looking until I found one that said safe to eat! its earths best, think they sell it a babies r us too! There's special toothbrushes too
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• That young, there aren't really any set rules. You can use a soft-bristled brush, one of the finger brushes, or just a wet washcloth. They make "training" toothpaste without fluoride if you want to use that, or just water is fine. It's the actual brushing motion that's most important.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I've been doing it since DS had 4 teeth - i use a baby toothbrush and baby toothpase (Oral B). He has always loved it, he does it himself every morning now. (He's 2.5, I help him finish).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow I did not know that. Thank you everyone!
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• my daughter is 17 months and i brush her teeth every morning and before we go to bed. she watches me and her dad when we do ours so she just do what she sees us do.
    amazinbabymama9

Answer by amazinbabymama9 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I used the fingertip brush (sold at grocery stores) and also a teether type toothbrush on both my kids that worked great when they were babies...the fingertip is good to get in there and gently brush her teeth and gums, the teether type (I think I got it at onestepahead.com) was good for them to hold themselves and chew on. And yes, with trainer toothpaste, just a touch. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2010