My husband and I are flying to Florida with three of our grandchildren. (8 yr-5 yr. and 3 yr.) I wash wondering abut carryon luggage. I usually take a carryon and a large purse. My husband takes a carryon and a computer case. Does that mean we can do a carryon and a backpack for each of the kids? If we take a stroller to push the 3 year old in at the airport, will that count as a carryon?

Also, What snacks can we take in the carryons? Can we take a bottle of vitamins? How about sunscreen...toothpaste...shampoo...etc. I am trying to avoid the extra fee and confusion of checked luggage. Hope to hear back from other traveling grammas and moms real soon.
Also entertainment ideas that do not add too much to the luggage.
Thanks,
Shirley "Tootoobusy"

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 10:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Travel

• i checked my stroller as we got on the plane.... we took snacks... i think no for all the other items... unless it is less than 2 or 3 oz?? not sure on that check wit the airlines... i would say a big no on the vitamins....
    if each child has a paid seat they are allowed carry on like everybody else....
    we took books.... the crayola magic markers and coloring books... fav stuffed animal and blanket... small quiet toys... and she was not interested in any LOL well they did entertain her for a bit.... we flew to FL twice once at 9 months and i think again at 14months then at 21 months we flew from AZ to Japan... that was fun!! at least there were many other families flying with small children that day....
    her favorite part was the in flight magazine and ripping them and looking at all the other people....
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 10:33 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I know with liquids: toothpaste, shampoo, sunscreen, you are restricted to just a FEW OZ, how many of those things, and it has to be in a clear bottle, etc. You in all honesty would be better off hitting up a drug store while you are there and buying some small bottles and pitching what isn't used before getting the to airport. That is what we do now; we never carry stuff like that on anymore. It's easier just to hit up a drug store and buying small bottles once we have arrived at our designation.

When I traveled with my daughter last year we carried her booster seat to the gate and they checked it then (no extra charge) and then we picked it up at the gate as we were leaving. I'm assuming it would be the same for the stroller. When I traveled with the kids, I just gave them a backpack and I had my small carry-on and purse.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• oh and the other posters are right just check with the airlines. Most of them have FAQ on their website and it will answer all of these questions and more. Each airline is a little different on the rules and regulations these days.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• too be really sure and make sure your not misinformed contact the airline you are flying with (call or look it up online )
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Call the airline you are flying out of.. better to get exact info.. some of em are a lil differnt.. I flew out of 4 different airports and they were all different.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• you can usually valet check strollers as you get on the airplane... snacks are ok... any liquids or gels have to be less than 3 oz and have to fit in a quart size ziploc bag (that goes through x ray machine at security so keep it easily accessible)
    each child should be allowed to have a backpack
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2010