Who comes first your chidren, or god?

My ex husband believes his duty to god is higher than his duty to his children. I get what he means, but he believes this to a point where he neglects his children. He leaves them with his mother 90% of the time so that he can attend church functions & hang out with church friends. I'm glad he goes to church (it's a hindu church that also preaches the bible) but it's getting out of hand. He goes to church service Thurs. night & Sun. Every Friday night, he has dinner with his church friends at their house. Mon & Tues he has goes to a "kirtan" which is devotional chanting. He helps his church friends build homes & fix gardens, yet he completely ignors his mother when she asks for his help. Anyhow, i have become sickened that he does not spend any money on his kids. He saves his money to go to church conventions & to go to India. His mother buys their clothes, food & everything else when they are over there...

Cont....

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 10:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• YOu are with God all the moments in the day. It is not necessary to go to a place of worship to give thanks to God.

So in saying that, God is always with me so that I can spend as much time with my child as I can. After all, God granted me the gift of being her mother. That tells me that He would want me to be with her just as He is with me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well since I'm not religious, my child of course. But even if I was, I still couldn't imagine putting anyone or anything before my child.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My ex mother in law & i have talked extensively about his obsessions with his church. I would not mind it if he did not neglect his children. He has 3 kids, one of them is mine & we share custody. the other two are from another marriage & he has FULL custody of them. He works, comes home, showers, then leaves to go do whatever it is he is doing for his church & he does this 5 nights a week. On the weekends, he can never have the kids because he is out & about with his church buddies. He pretty much believes he is doing the right thing by "serving god first". Well, in my opinion....he is neglecting his TRUE duty of parenting. I really don't think god would mind that much if he spent more time with his children. I believe god is patient. And i also believe that if we give life, that is our first duty to abide by. Life is a HUGE responsibility & i think god knows that.....

His mother takes care of his kids for him ALWAYS!
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Those poor children.

Having faith is a wonderful thing, but this really disgusts me.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• For me, it's
    God
    husband
    kids
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It disgusts me too. I had to stop going to that church because everyone worships him like he is a saint because he is always at church, but no one ever stop to think that he is neglecting his kids in doing so. My DD totally notices it. She always says "I wish daddy wasn't so churchy"
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My children always comes first, this is the way I see what the God I worship wants.

Answer by older at 10:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I dont' believe in God so my Children are always first.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I am not familiar with this combination of beliefs and what the theology is. I haven't the knowledge to speak about what goes on inside his church. I can only speak from what I know. I think God should come first before all things and if it is a true walk with God, ones priorites will be in line. It sounds like he is getting caught up in the trappings of religion. You don't have to stay in church to serve God, you can serve Him in your daily life as it is. Love of God doesn't lead you to make excuses for what you are not doing on the homefront. You can serve God by serving your family and others. I am sorry to heart about your family's struggle with this. I pray for God to work this out to the good.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• God comes first, but my children go wherever I go. We have services on sunday and one meeting during the week, they come with me for those and for our convention we all go as well. I never leave my kids anywhere. You can serve Jehovah and take care of your children, theres no reason to leave them behind.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 11, 2010