Breastfeeding, TTC and Weaning Oh my!

I have one son who is 10 months old. I have been pumping 3 times a day every day at work since he was six weeks so that he can have bottles for daycare. He eats from me through the evening and night and of course weekends. He has started to eat a lot of solids and table foods.

My husband and I are TTC baby number 2 and I was planning on weaning my son at 12 months. What is the best way to about this? I don't want him to lack the nutrition he needs and I don't want to be engorged and miserable with mastitis or something like that.

Should I wait until he is 12 months and start replacing some of his day care bottles/cups with whole milk and slowly cut out my pumps at work? Or should I continue to pump for daycare and slowly take away feedings in the evenings? He eats with me around 4 or 5 times in the evenings. So really he is only at the breast on week days an average of 5 or 6 times. He of course eats with me all day sa

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When he turns 12 months you can just stop pumping during the day. This alone may make you fertile again (fyi if you are getting periods then you are already fertile). Next you could night wean. That will usually bring your period back. Here are a couple of good articles for you:

Boosting Fertility while Breastfeeding

Weaning At One

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• you could just keep going. Mine self weaned as soon as I got pregnant.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would slowly start cutting out a feeding. You could see if he would take second step formula in a sippy(check with your pedi) to fill in the gaps. I would cut out one nursing a week, until he is through. I know its a hard transistion, but take it slowly. When my son was down to 1 time per day and then we stopped, I didnt feel uncomfortable. IT took a week or so for the milk to dry up. Talk to the pedi or your doc if you are worried! Good Luck!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about weaning either, as long as you're getting a period. I just got pregnant while BFing (well, not WHILE breastfeeding, but you know what I mean :) and I'm really glad that we are going to be able to continue, it's a really important part of our relationship, I think.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Sorry, I missed the last part of your questions--if you do decide to keep breastfeeding, you can definitely just start introducing milk slowly and gradually decreasing the amount you pump. I went back to work when he was 7 weeks old and pumped until he was 15 months, but the last month or so, I was down to one session a day, and only getting 3-4 oz total. The last week, I just pumped an hour later each day, until finally, I didn't pump at all, and by that time my supply was very well regulated and I never got engorged.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow TTC alrdy y not enjoy ur baby right now?
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 5:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2010