Do contractions caused by pitocin hurt more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It isn't so much that the contractions hurt more, it's that in a natural labor, the contractions start out mild and build in intensity and frequency until they are really intense and really close together. Only the last hour or so of my non-pitocin induced labors was so intense it was difficult to handle. A pitocin induced labor jump starts you right at that end point and is like spending your entire labor in that transition labor state. So they aren't more painful than natural contractions, it's that they are as painful as the very worst of natural contractions and it makes the labor far more painful than a natural labor. I had pitocin with my second and would never go through that again willingly and still kind of resent my midwife in that birth for pushing it on me.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think so because they come on so strongly. There is no slow build up. In an hour you are huffing and puffing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:45 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes. And they don't do as much good as unhindered contractions, because the drug tries to rush your body into doing things it is not yet ready to do. That's why so many babies end up in distress and why so many c-sections have to be performed as a result of the hurrying.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• yes
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Hell YES.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:45 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes! They hurt a lot worse.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i have heard that yes... it makes contractions about 3 times stronger than normal
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• it increases them... but dont be afraid thats all part of childbirth
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It depends on the hospital in my opinion.. (i was induced both pregnancys)I delivered my first child at UC Irvine (very awesome hospital) and they did it very slowly.. My second child i thought i was going to hurt the nurse i sware she was coming in every 10 minutes turning it up lol.. but my first was not painful and my sencond i hurt sooo bad! But no matter what remain calm and don't waste your energy on screamin i would hear women screaming like they were being murdered! No how bad the pain was i remained calm as possibe to i can keep my energy for delivery and remaining calm worked, he came out with 3 pushes!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have 1 daughter who I was induced with and expecting my 2nd. So I can't say yes or no lol I haven't experieced a birth that wasn't induced. I hope this time around my daughters comes on her own.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2010