If you BF, do you think that you're a better mother than one who FF?

I've pretty much seen as much said since last night. I want a yes or no answer, since a few of you have implied just that.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Nope. I actually know for a fact that I am not a better mom because I breastfeed. I breastfeed because it's free and easy. Yea it was hard VERY hard at first but seriously.. a few weeks of pain after my first daughter was born compared to making bottles, cleaning bottles, keeping track of how old a bottle is, keeping track of how much a child has eaten, how much they are SUPPOSED to eat, buying formula! All that stuff seems a ton harder to me than breastfeeding.

Some things I do make me a better mom than other mothers, some of the things I do make me a worse mom. My kids love me and they are all healthy and happy. Hasn't got a lot to do with how I fed them.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 4:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I breastfed both, exclusively and extended. I think BFing is a better CHOICE, but I don't think that in the big picture it automatically makes me a better mother. Again, its the better choice, but I know tons of FABULOUS mothers who did not BF.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow. When did BFing become the one and only indicator of being a good parent? Some women on here have a VERY inflated sense of self over such a simple biological function. If you BF that's fabulous and great for your baby but that does not mean you're a better parent overall. Not by a long shot. I've seen some seriously lazy, bad (and yes, sometimes neglient) parenting coming from mom's that BF. You can't look at one parenting choice and make sweeping statements one way or the other about their quality of parenting. That's just ignorant.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Nope... I think I'm a better person than all the bitches who feel they should try to pressure others in to their way of life... But that's besides the point! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i think as long as you are taking care and loving your child it shouldnt matter . there are so many other issues concerning babies to argue about breastfeeding or bottle . i have four and the oldest was bottle fed the second was breastfed until 3 moths, the two youngest were bottleand breastfed till about 13 months...i dont see any difference in any of them. ladies we should really pick our battles
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• spammyann--
    You have NO IDEA why I choose to FF I'm an NOT lazy nor do I owe you or ANYONE an explanation.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I breastfed my daughter for 2.5 weeks. We never had much luck with latching on. The hospital had us feeding every 4 hrs and a week later the bf consultant at the ped. office wanted us doing it every 2. I was young and a new mom thinking they knew best. My milk supply couldn't seem to catch up, my nipples were tore up from improper latching, and it felt like I was nursing every 30 minutes. One night I just snapped and got a can of formula out that the bf consultant had given us. I would hope you wouldn't consider that lazy or that you are better than me for being able to "stick it out." As long as my child got fed and the nutrition she needed, I was happy.
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• BFing is hard, especially for a woman like me. I do not think that women get enough CORRECT information about breastfeeding and most of the time, FFing is easier because you don't have to work to put formula in a bottle. I do not and never have thought I was better for BFing my children. I researched commercial formula and was DISGUSTED by the ingredients. Had I known what I know NOW about commercial formula, my son wouldn't have had a DROP of it. Does that make me a better mother? Nope.. but it makes me an aware mother. I don't knock people for feeding formula... the formula companies are horrible, though. They only put the BARE minimum amounts of nutrition in formula for an infant, that's awful. People often say "no one's going to remember or care if you BF or FF" but honestly, you feed your infant this for the ENTIRE first year of their life. I wouldn't want my child eating that stuff for their entire first year.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Spammyann

Mothers are defending there choice when others are making attacks. You have attacked because you feel superior. But clearly your not because you are showing your childish behavior on attacking women for there choice. As long as the baby is being fed what is the big deal. Mother research formula and make sure that its safe for there little ones. I am sure they wouldn't give it to them if they thought otherwise. I think for you as a BF is sending a bad message by informing mother that if they don't BF the are automatically lazy.. That is just ignorant and cruel on your part, something a child would say to make an attack on other mothers, you should grow up, BF or not your child see your behavior and they will be A-holes and that will make you a horrible parent
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• So what are all you good mommies children doing?

My 11 year old is running down the busy highway with a pair of scissors.

The 14 month old is trying to put things in the electrical outlets because I'm too lazy to get up and pull him away.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2010