How does a gun "accidentally" discharge? (NOT "for fun")

I don't understand how a gun can "accidentally" discharge. Guns don't fire themselves, someone has to pull the trigger. So when someone says the gun "accidentally discharged" don't they really mean "Someone pulled the trigger but accidentally shot who/whatever they shot."?

Again - this is *NOT* for fun, I don't know where else to put it.

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 11:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When I was in junior high school, one of my friends (C) accidentally shot another of my friends (T). They were 13 years old and had just been out hunting on the C's family farm. They came into the house and unloaded the guns and began cleaning them. C forgot to unload the one from the barrel. While he was cleaning it, he pulled the trigger. He gun went off and the bullet struck T in the chest. It narrowly missed his heart, but it lodged in his spine, paralyzing him from the waist down.
    This was an accident. He didn't mean to fire the gun. The gun accidentally discharged and changed two lives forever.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If a gun is dropped it could accidentally discharge, or if the person holding it is paying any attention to what they are doing they may squeeze the trigger without even realizing it.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 11:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• A gun could discharge, if there is a round in the chamber and the safety is off adn the gun drops it can go off on its own..But that usually happens with old guns. Most models now a day have been upgraded and don't have the problem..
    It is also possible that someone fired it thinking safety is on then blame it on the discharg
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Fire ~ I've always believe the saying that guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns do not discharge all my themselves. Accidentally or on purpose there is human interference there somewhere.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Oh please don't ask this question.

I lost a best friend when in HS of an accidental discharge of a gun. He and a friend where in his friend's Dad office and wen they went to get something out of the closet the gun accidentally fell and discharged killing my best friend. Since then I have never been able to deal with the gun issue that I start bawling.

This is a very emotional issue for me.
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 11:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• There ARE accidents in which humans do pull the trigger on accident or not,(as in cleaning) thinking the gun is empty, and there are accidents in which the gun is dropped or shifted in it's resting place and because of it's having a hair trigger or what have you, it discharges and we have a tragic event. Storing them locked and safely, knowing how to properly handle a weapon, and keeping them out of the hands of children unless under the direct supervision of adults is one way to prevent such horrible and painful accidents.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• *isn't paying attention
    jreneei