Is it good for paper, cardboard to end up in the landfill?

Here we just toss our cereal boxes in the trash and recycle everything else.

If not I'd be sorting for 3 different entire trash pickup dates.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well we only get one earth. I think sorting is the least we can do. I recycle everything I can, paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminum etc. I love the fact that we now have so little garbage due to all the recycle. Yes, it is BAD for cardboard to go in the landfill when it doesn't have to.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I used to do all that sorting, of all the paper, cardboard, "any" paper too, like kids school papers. Had 65 pounds of that one year. I put it out for recycling, and the trash came and got it !!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Not really. Paper products do not decompose in a landfill unless they are exposed to the elements to help break them down.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Just flatten them and stack them in a brown grocery bag. When the bag is full set it out for collection.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:09 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Paper and cardboard are both biodegradable.
    We recycle anything that can be recycled here. It's required by our town.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:16 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• In my area we have recycles pickup every week-- although I do know a few people who just don't bother to recycle they toss everything in the garbage. I don't see why they do this as it only takes a second to put it in the recycle bin instead of garbage bag, and with the free curbside pickup there really is no reason not to do it. I have 2 paper sacks in my kitchen 1 for paper and 1 for solids (plastic,glass, metal) and when they are full I dump the solids in the recycle container and the paper filled bag goes out to the garage till recycle day.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Paper and cardboard aren't going to biodegrade in the landfill when they are tied up in plastic bags and then more trash is added on top of them. We have a cabinet that my husband installed one of those trash things that pulls out. We have the regular trash in there, the recycling, and then the dog food. If we had to sort our recycling more, we would put the dog food somewhere else.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We recycle everything we possibly can. I have boxes for paper & cardboard, glass, plastic, cans, and compost. We don't have garbage pickup. We take everything ourselves to the recycling drop off.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It is better for it to be recycled and reused than for it to rot into methane (a potent greenhouse gas) in a landfill while cutting down new trees for the demand for the pulp. I do recycle paper/cardboard/etc even though it is one more step. It is small thing to do to contribute to my children and grandchildren's quality of life.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Cardboard and paper is RECYCLED. They go together. I always recycle ALL paper and cardboard. It doesn't just sit in a landfill .....it will be recycled and made into new paper products.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010