why is my son mean to animals & how do I stop him?

We have 1 dog and 2 cats. My 4 year old is very mean to them. The cats he will chase around all day long. If yare laying and hiding from him he will taunt them. The dog(a husky) my son will growl at him, hit him with toys (ex: drumsticks...tried drilling him with a play drill), punch him, jump on him, all kinds of crap. And the dog, and cats have bit him and scratched him. He is the same way with my grandparents two little dogs. They have bit him numerous time and he just goes back and does it again. Is anyone else's kids like this??? He is driving me insane. I yell and punish him and he doesnt stop.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 11:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yelling will not fix it, and will only make it worse.

This is a HUGE RED FLAG. Get him professional help NOW, before he takes it to the next level. This is NOT normal behavior.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Being mean to him because he's being mean to an animal isn't teaching him anything other than if you're bigger you have a right to be mean. Behavior like this is a control issue typically. When he' mean to an animal, stop what you're doing, kneel down to his level, gently take his hands and quietly and calmly explain that he's hurting the animals and they are afraid of him because of it. Bring one of the animals into your lap and have him sit down next to you and show him how to be nice and give praise, hugs, n kisses for him doing it right. This won't change his behavior over night but over time with consistency his behaviors WILL change. As far as the control issue factor, start letting him help you do things like fixing food and cleaning up and give him choices between two things, what to wear, what to eat, what to watch, what to play. The more engaged he is with the family the less he'll act out like that.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 11:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

This is a HUGE RED FLAG. Get him professional help NOW, before he takes it to the next level. This is NOT normal behavior."

I completely agree.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010