Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Away from DD

I sent my daughter to FL to stay with my aunt for a little while until i get some things together up here. she is only suppose to be staying there until i get a real apartment up here (Im renting a room right now). But i feel like going to get her sooner than that. my aunt is trying to convince me to leave her down there but she doesnt know or understand how hard it is being away from your child. what should i do? i know by bringing her back here to live in a one room place could get me into alot of trouble and possibly get her thrown into a foster home. but i cant stand missing these times that i need to be there for. (my daughter is 18 months old and shes been in FL since april) i didnt see her walk, shes starting to talk and i dont want her to not know who i am. this is killing me plz help.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answers (5)
  • I don't know where you are but In IL, there is nothing stating that children will go to foster care for living in a small place. Go get her!

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • OP here. i live in new jersey. i heard that your kid can get thrown in a foster home if your living conditions are not up to par. like if you dont have a kitchen and all that. which i dont have.

    Answer by Anonymous_J at 11:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • You have to do what's best for your DD, even though it's painful for you. (You wouldn't have moved her down there if you didn't think it was the right thing to do for her.) If she's happy and healthy where she's at, keep working toward getting a place that's suitable for both of you and move her up as soon as you can.

    Answer by Scuba at 11:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • Neglect occurs when a parent or caregiver fails to provide proper supervision for a child or adequate food, clothing, shelter, education or medical care although financially able or assisted to do so. This is from NJ website.   it says nothing about living conditions only that its clean and habitable

    I would give them a call and find out what can be held against is the number...609-341-5600


    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • Have you considered moving there and living with your aunt and DD. You could look for a job and place to live there. It maybe easier having family to help you.

    Answer by cassey.e at 12:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.