Would you sign up for food stamps in this situation?

I'm out of work right now (I got two job offers, so I put my two weeks in and my last employer completely removed me from the schedule and wouldn't let me work out my last two weeks), and won't get paid for at least a month because the job I got becomes available for me to start later this month. My husband is working and things are a little tight because of our bills, so I'm considering signing up for food stamps again until I get paid, then getting off of them. We were on them while I was pregnant for the same reason (him working, me not, but that was when I was on bedrest), then got off them after I went back to work and we were making enough to not need them as much. I hate asking for help most of the time, but since this is short term, and we could really use them, I'm considering it.

Would you swallow your pride and do it?

(Oh, and I have nothing against FS, I just hate needing help.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Maybe the other job will fall through--god forbid, sign up now just so everything goes okay
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Honestly, I would make sure that we had done everything humanly possible to provide for ourselves first. We cut out internet for 3 years, no cable, no entertainment unless it was free, no driving the car unless to work, church, or doctor/groceries. No birthday/Christmas gifts for ourselves and eventually for family. We made it, but if we still would not be able to pay for food we would have gotten assistance. (Been in a tough situation ourselves and just sharing what we did! Hope that doesn't offend you.) :) I hope things work out well for you with this other job!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Not sure how it works in your area, but I have heard that it takes about a month before you can actually get food stamps. Maybe try a food bank or something like Angel Food Ministries- https://www.angelfoodministries.com/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Only as a last resort. Things here are always very tight now. It's a struggle to make it one week to the next. But I feel that food assistance is only to be used as a last resort, much as micheledo described. There are families in desperate need - the help is there to be available to those people.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No. Just because things are a little tight doesn't mean you can't provide for your family. Sure, you might need to make some cut-backs, and it might be unpleasant. But you make the cut-backs and you tough it out. Then you enjoy not needing those cut-backs anymore when your new job (congratulations) begins paying.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 11:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Angel Food ministries is a great suggestion. Good luck!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would do it. It's not like you intend to use it forever. Do what you need to do to feed your family.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No, and I don't think it would process in that amount of time. The paperwork end can take longer.

Why not try a local food bank?
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 11:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you still qualify I don't see what the issue would be. You have to do what you can to feed your family.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well, we don't really have anything that could be considered a "luxury" to pay for except internet and the cell phone because I need internet for college (I'm doing online classes from our local community college) and we don't have another phone at all, so I have to keep my Straight Talk (no landline, too expensive, and hubby refuses to get a phone). I only drive for job interviews, groceries, to the post office (which is on my way from either), and this past weekend to get new clothes for my new job because I had 0 nice things.

It didn't offend me, I appreciate the advice, we've just already pretty much done that.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2010