Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support? if my fiance has 2 kids with me and 1 with someone else, how do we make the money fair?

Answer Question

Asked by Mrs_Chris_Pukt at 11:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 7 (161 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • If it were me I would take him to court for child support and let the court set the amounts.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • not sure what you mean by "fasir" but the reality is, you are with a man who has a child from a previous relationship-so support is due. most states have a set percentage that is allotted for support. in Illinois, it is 20% of the persons gross income, no more than that. call your county cuircut clerk and ask what the percentage for child support is. I realize you have 2 kids with him, but that doesnt change that legally he is responsible for 3...good luck :)

    Answer by Bearsjen at 11:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • Isn't that something the court determines? I know that my sister was married to a man with 4 kids with his previous wife and two with her and he paid his ex what the court said.

    Answer by WoodWitch at 11:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • fair, not fasir lol

    Answer by Bearsjen at 11:29 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • oh and also, if you marry him, they can sometimes(in some cases) consider your income too. his debts and responsibilities can become yours.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 11:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • In Indiana the support would be calculated for the mother with the oldest child/children first. Then support would be calculated for the mother of the next oldest child/children. When this support is calculated the support for the older child/children is subtracted from his income.

    I was the second mother. When the older children turned 18 I was able to go back to the child support office and support was recalculated and I got $500 more a month.

    Your state should have child support guidelines online. If you live with him you don't get support. He would only pay support to the other woman.


    Answer by Gailll at 11:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • If you are looking for absolutely "Fair".. I can't see that happening really. What is fair to one of you can in some ways ultimately be unfair for the other.

    The best advice I can give is take it to court and have a court ordered child support agreement brought up based on : income, living expenses., children's needs .etc..

    If there already is a court ordered support agreement and it's not working for you guys. Take it back to court to be readdressed.

    Good luck..

    Side note, completely unrelated. That damn Hidden Valley ad is driving me insane. The damn thing keeps opening up on me.. uuuggggghhhhhh... lol


    Answer by pixie_trix at 11:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • In most cases, the court figures the child support and what is "fair".

    Answer by mommy11260 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • In Minnesota, they consider both parents' incomes and determine individual contribution for the child's care. However, CS is first-come, first serve -- with the first child receiving the largest portion, any subsequent children added later don't get nearly as much.

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:37 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • You don't - the court decides what is fair and he pays it.

    Answer by missingruth at 11:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.