xrays and pregnancy?

ok I am 38 weeks pregnant and went to L&D yesterday because I am having pain in my upper abdomen. the L&D nurse says I have a pinched nerve. I am 100% positive I don't. I am a massage therapist and chiropractice assistant. Thats my job lol to correct pinched nerves. Do you think since I am so far along that it would be safe to get an xray of my spine to see if I do have a pinched nerve?

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 11:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i'd say wait it out, but i don't know how severe you pain is
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I had pneumonia when I was pregnant and I coughed so hard I broke a rib. I had a x-ray to see what was going on with the rib and if pushing in labor was going to be okay. They only do x-rays is they feel they really have to.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• as far as i know x-ray is not safe during pregnancy. but if the pain is unbearable then it could be serious. ask your OB if its ok to get an x-ray done. good luck
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• an x-ray is not going to show a pinched nerve
    Hmcran

Answer by Hmcran at 11:39 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would not have the x-ray done. They won't even take your x-rays at the dentist if you are pregnant and they put up that metal bib on you and everything. Do not get an x-ray. Also, I thought x-rays only showed skeletal, not nerves.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 11:45 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• an xray will not show the exact pinched nerve. for example..you get an xray of your spine and your chiropractor or doc sees a vertebrae that is not aligned this area would be pinching nerves. i asked my ob for a ultrasound yesterday also and he would not give me one. idk it's just wierd to me. It was like they wouldnt tell me anything. my chiropractor is going to check me tonight, not gonna give me an xray but just check and see if he can feel anything that is out of alignment. he thinks i could have a rib that is displaced so hopefully if he can put that back in the pain will stop.. and it is pretty severe. I would say an 8 out of 10. if i barely bend i feel like screaming.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I hope you get some relief.. I wouldn't have an xray.. just try massages.. you could see about inducing labor if the pain is to bad.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I say wait it out, you are 38 weeks along.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010