for those that had a natural labor

i want to go all natural with this pregnancy and want to hear how it went for you moms that went natural? what things did you do to relax and prep for it?

oppsdiditagain

Asked by oppsdiditagain at 11:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My best drug free vaginal birth was a water birth, the water did a LOT to help with the pain, also, freedom to move into whatever position was comfortable. Lying on your back is very often the MOST uncomfortable position you can be in while laboring and that can actually cause the pain to be worse than it would be otherwise, I know this from experience, two hospital births laboring on my back, and one out of hospital birth where I had freedom to move at will.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:45 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I read up on a number of different natural childbirth methods. I found the Bradley method and hypnobirthing the most helpful. My best advice is to practice using the techniques in your last trimester so that they feel natural and easy to you, not something you are struggling to remember or learn during labor. Practice a lot of different techniques because you don't know until then what will actually help when it is time. Contractions come in waves, take them one at a time and use the time in between to relax and rest. Stay hydrated and try to pee at least once an hour because the full bladder pressure is hard to feel during labor but adds to the discomfort.

I never found childbirth to be as painful as a lot of moms make it out to be. I think going into it with the right mind set it key. I found it uncomfortable at times and very intense, but I have had migraines that were far more painful.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I gave natural birth to my first. I did take a lamaze class and they really prepped me for it. I knew what to expect, I knew how to handle it and I didnt lose control at all.When I started to go into labor, it was about 11 pm at night. I didnt even wake anyone else up in the house for awhile.I took several warm showers and let the water run on my lower back..where the pain was.I walked around the house, practicing my breathing and trying to keep myself calm. I had a watch with a second hand and kept track of my contractions until they were exactly 5 minutes apart and then I had wok emy husband up to take me to the hospital.They things you learn in lamaze will help you to cope with the pain.Different positions,relaxation techniques,breathing,focusing,soft music.I did become a little scared at the end, because the reality of it all hit me like a ton of bricks,lol.I asked for Nubane..a pain med in an i.v. but 5 mins,he was out!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I just went with it and kept telling myself..."this won't last forever. It is better for baby." And kept chanting that mantra in my head over and over. LOL Change positions often and walk around.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I got an iv med that only lasted 15 min and they werent able to administer it again for an hour. Im glad I had the experience of natural birth and it was much quicker (5hrs) than my first with an epidural (24hrs). Do not let this dicourage you but it was the worst pain i have ever been through i did not think i was going to survive. Next baby will be an epidural baby. Good luck it is different with everyone.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I walked and walked as long as I could. It was so very painful I had a lot of back and butt labor. I had no option of epi's then, it was 1986. I did it, but I did not enjoy the experience at all. I had epi's with my two DD's and so enjoyed the birth experience. My last two were c-sections.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I went natural - no induction and no epidural or drugs - with my 4th and it was great!! So much better than all three births before. I was induced with my first 3 and had an epidural with two of them.

Relax - with me, I had labor pains for 3 weeks or so before it was the real thing. They would keep me up at night and even got a little stronger, but by morning they had disappeared. The night I went into labor I wasn't sure if it was the real deal! They kept getting stronger and stronger and harder for me. I finally thought I would at least go get checked. By then I was 9 1/2 cm!!! Relax as much as you can and let your body take over!! Just follow it's lead. The body really does know how to deliver a baby!! The nurses were a little surprised when my body was involuntarily pushing. I wasn't doing a thing - my body was doing it! AND, if I didn't feel like pushing during a contraction, I DIDN'T! Take it as it comes!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I just made up my mind I was going to do it and I did. During labor I, like BradenIsMySon, told myself, "This isn't going to last forever" and "By this time tomorrow it will all be over." It really wasn't that bad - and look what you get for all that effort!
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 12:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My first 3 were natural - not by choice, but because my epidurals failed. Actually, #3 came too fast for an epi. I didn't plan for doing them naturally, it just happened, so I didn't plan ahead or anything (my plan was to try without, but the pain was too bad, then it just got worse since the epi didn't work). But frankly I'm glad I got to experience it both ways. The nurses I had with the first 3 were great, really helped me stay focused.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have had 2 natural waterbirths. These things helped:

Information-Education-reading-classes-videos

Support-Midwives (normal, natural birth specialists)-Husband-Friends-Family-Doula

Location-not in a hospital (where the environment & circumstances tend to making harder to cope naturally)

Trust-Confidence-Faith --that the above things bring together.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010