So I have a 14 month old and can not get him to sleep through the night! any thoughts?

xyzmom

Asked by xyzmom at 11:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm in the same boat ... so here's a bump!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Give him/her a snack before bedtime. Maybe he is just a bit hungry
    also my dd won't sleep unless her music it on in her room.
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 11:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• has he ever slept through the night? my daughter goes through phases and she is 2 1/2. could be dreams, could be his surroundings, too dark, to light, too warm. i am sure you have a routine and it helps to stick to it as best as possible. i am sure you want some sleep, but in time it will get better. good luck.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son didn't sleep through until he was 2 1/2. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Honey, Good Luck! My 3 yo STILL doesn't sleep through the night - never has!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Do a little research about human sleep.

People, when studied with video recording and brain activity monitors, do not sleep through the night. People wake up, scan their bodies and their environments and if there is nothing needed or nothing wrong, they fall back asleep with no awareness that they ever woke, and no memory of it happening.

So, your 14mo is waking up, scanning her body and finding out that she's hungry, or lonely, or scared, or too hot or cold or thirsty... and since she can't get out of bed and call a friend, mix herself a maragrita and close the window, she needs you to get you to help.

After having spoken to thousands of parents, I have concluded that the only people whose children 'sleep through the night' are liars, or THEY are sleeping through their children waking up and have no idea it's happening.

When she stops having needs in the night you need to help with, she'll stop waking you up.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:53 AM on Aug. 11, 2010