So I have a 14 month old and can not get him to sleep through the night! any thoughts?

he starts in his crib and then wants to move to mom and dads bed. he is still breastfeeding which is a whole other issue (trying to cut that out as well and not going so well). I try to put my foot down and hold out, but after fighting with him for hours and the later it gets i give up and he wins.

xyzmom

Asked by xyzmom at 11:46 AM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well you are getting him out of the crib right? If you want it to stop, you have to be a meanie and put him back in the crib when you are done nursing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• a 14 month old should not need to eat at night, if he is fed properly during the day. You need to sleep train your son. There are many books availabe that cover this topic. It may require letting him CIO. You're the parent-you set the rules.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• BFing shouldn't really be an issue here. If he has a schedule of meals and atleast one nap in the day, set a bedtime and stick to it. At 14 months, he shouldn't be eating in the middle of the night. If he cries in the middle of the night, it's because you've let him get used to a routine/schedule of getting him out of the crib and feeding him. If you let him cry himself back to sleep, it should only take 10-15 min. Might be a little longer in the beginning but he needs to get used to a new routine.
    lizpoulette

Answer by lizpoulette at 12:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have a 14 month old who is still breastfeed and who still wakes 2-3 times a night. She has a regular meal schedule and eats really well, better than my 3 year old. They're little bodies are growing so much and require a lot of energy. Breastmilk while extremely nutritious also digests very quickly. So it makes complete sense to me that they still wake during the night. Add on top of that any teething, sickness, life changes, etc., baby may also need some soothing.

I do nurse her and then put her back into her crib. I've found we all sleep better now that she's bigger if we have our own space. When she wakes up I leave all the lights off, I rock and nurse her. I only talk when I first go into the room to assure her that I'm here. I nurse her until she falls back asleep, normally only takes 5-10 minutes, then lay her back down. She's normally very happy to lay back down.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We coslept. It was so easy to sleep/doze while my daughter nursed. She self-weaned at 23 months.

Honestly, we loved having the little snuggle-bunny in bed with us.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010